Crockpot Shredded Chicken – a favorite for freezer meals!

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe
You guys, I almost didn’t share this with you, because it’s sort of a no brainer. The thing is, it’s one of my absolute favorite tips and a super helpful way to get rushed weeknight meals on the table.

I always have bags of already cooked and shredded chicken breasts in my freezer! There are so many uses for shredded chicken that you can seriously never have too much of this chicken hidden away in the freezer! It’s perfect for those nights when you’ve totally spaced dinner and are thinking about drive-thru or cold cereal as a last resort.

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe

Having this easy shredded chicken in my freezer at all times has seriously saved dinner on more than one occasion in my house!

I like to go to Costco and buy the big packs of boneless skinless chicken breasts for this. They come in packs right around 6 pounds and are $20 at my local store. I’ll dump them all into my crockpot, set it to low, and let them cook for 8 hours. I don’t add any seasonings or water. The chicken will release enough juice that you don’t need it and leaving the meat unseasoned means that you can use it in tons of different ways!

If you’d prefer to do this with just one pack of chicken breasts (I believe they’re usually around 1.6 pounds), just cook on low for 4 hours instead of 8!

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe

After the chicken is cooked through, I just remove it with tongs to the bowl of my stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. I load the bowl up (I can fit all 6 pounds in my mixer, but it’s probably easier and a bit less messy to do this in two batches – I’m too impatient for that, though.) and turn the mixer to low. It seriously only takes a minute and you have perfectly shredded chicken breast that you can use in a variety of ways.

I load the shredded meat into small baggies (one sandwich sized baggie is enough meat for one meal for my family of four and I usually get 7 baggies full out of 6 pounds of chicken) and place them all into one large freezer bag. The meat will keep for months in your freezer!

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe

Looking for some recipes to use up your shredded chicken? I’ve got you covered!

Crockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipeCrockpot Shredded Chicken   a favorite for freezer meals! recipe

South Carolina Yellow Barbecue Chicken Sandwiches
Buffalo Chicken Taquitos
Pesto Chicken Panini
Chicken & Cream Cheese Stuffed Peppers
Corn and Chicken Chowder
Penne Alfredo with Bacon and Broccoli (add shredded chicken!)
Buffalo Chicken Dip
Chicken Tamale Casserole
Cream Cheese Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken, Tomato, and Mozzarella Pizza

More shredded chicken recipes from around the web:

Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese by Taste and Tell
Cheesy Chicken Quesadilla Pie by Mel’s Kitchen Cafe
Easy Peasy Chicken Pot Pie by Bluebonnets and Brownies
Tex Mex Chicken White Cheddar Spaghetti by Lauren’s Latest
Thai Chicken Pizza by The Novice Chef

33 Responses to “Crockpot Shredded Chicken – a favorite for freezer meals!”

1. Mimi @ Culinary Couture April 7, 2013 @ 10:29 pm (#

Love this! I really need to get myself a crockpot!

2. Tieghan April 8, 2013 @ 6:41 am (#

This is such a great idea!! I a going to try this for sure!

3. Audrey April 8, 2013 @ 11:14 am (#

Great idea! My friend JUST told me a about this idea last week, so to us lame-o’s out here it’s unfortunately not a no brainer… (It should be though!) I now use it on my go to chicken taco’s (packet of ranch and taco seasoning and chicken broth in the crockpot. It’s all over Pinterest! SO GOOD!) I can’t wait to use this tip to get lots of cooked chicken stockpiled in the freezer. I’m always wishing it was always cooked! Thanks for sharing!

4. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking April 8, 2013 @ 11:54 am (#

SUCH a brilliant tip! Thanks, Karly!

5. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel April 8, 2013 @ 12:10 pm (#

I’ve been doing this for ages. It’s such a time saver! And you’ve reminded me how much I want a glass bowl. Must get on that ;)

6. Nancy April 8, 2013 @ 1:20 pm (#

We use alot of shredded chicken in my house but I always buy a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and shred that. This would be soooo much cheaper! I am wondering though, is the chicken you buy frozen or fresh? Just wondering because if you use fresh, then it would probably take longer to cook frozen chicken in the slow cooker. Thanks for this great tip! I can’t wait to try it.

7. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) April 8, 2013 @ 3:58 pm (#

Ahhhh great idea!

8. Sister Spice April 8, 2013 @ 5:27 pm (#

This is such a great idea!! I’ll have to stock up soon.

9. Erin @ Table for 7 April 8, 2013 @ 5:50 pm (#

I use my crock pot constantly and chicken is always on the menu. Great idea!

10. Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust April 8, 2013 @ 7:28 pm (#

OMG you’re a genius. I never knew you could shred chicken that way!!!! Way easier than two forks. I love shredded chicken in just about everything. TOTALLY doing this!

11. I don’t use my crock pot nearly enough – what a great idea!! I think I am good having chicken breasts frozen in 1 pound bags, but this is even better!

12. Karen Petersen April 8, 2013 @ 9:32 pm (#

Just learned this tip and it’s changed my life. Love it.

13. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. April 8, 2013 @ 10:07 pm (#

We always buy those packs from Costco! This is a great idea to make some ahead of time!

14. Jen @ Savory Simple April 9, 2013 @ 7:26 am (#

Great idea to use the stand mixer!

15. Joanne @ Fifteen Spatulas April 9, 2013 @ 7:36 am (#

I can’t believe I have never tried this. You’re awesome for sharing this Karly, thanks!

16. Alicia J. April 9, 2013 @ 8:53 am (#

I love this idea. As much as I use my crock pot I never thought to use my mixer to shred it. I know some appliances that will be whirring away this weekend. Thank you.

17. katie April 9, 2013 @ 9:37 am (#

I’m so glad you posted this… I need to do this. Some of the “no brainer like tips” are ones that most people don’t think of! I’ll be sharing this on my facebook page later today!

18. Ashton April 9, 2013 @ 11:59 am (#

This is a really smart post! Love it :)

19. Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel April 9, 2013 @ 1:19 pm (#

Aaaand that’s why we’re such good friends, because you’re a genius. A chicken genius.

20. Jess D April 9, 2013 @ 2:32 pm (#

ok this is genius!!! I check your blog almost daily (and if I miss it, I catch up later) but rarely comment… please do not thing we are all equally as intelligent! ha! I so never would have thought of this. Baby #1 due in JUne and this is so happening in my kitchen before then! Thank YOU!!!!

• Karly replied: — April 9th, 2013 @ 8:21 pm

Haha! This made me laugh. :)

21. Jocelyn @BruCrew Life April 10, 2013 @ 7:31 am (#

This is my favorite way to stock our freezer with chicken too. I love how easy the mixer makes shredding!!!

22. Natalie April 14, 2013 @ 11:08 pm (#

I recently discovered shredding it in the mixer! (Thank you, Pinterest.) Kind of blew my mind. I should stock up and freeze some, but I don’t like the taste the chicken has after it’s been cooked, frozen, and reheated. Unless it’s covered in an obnoxious amount of enchilada sauce or something. :)

23. Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen April 17, 2013 @ 10:15 am (#

This is how I’ve been preparing my chicken forever…but why oh why have I never prepared it in bulk and frozen it?! Doh!

24. Jackie June 13, 2013 @ 8:34 pm (#

This is the type of thing I would never think to do, but so easy and will make my life easier when searching for dinner ideas! Thanks for the idea.

25. kellie August 28, 2013 @ 3:02 pm (#

Fantastic! Worked great. This saves so much time plus is way easier for my bad wrists.

26. Andi Willis September 9, 2013 @ 6:17 am (#

I did this and it was one of the easiest and BEST thing I’ve ever done in the kitchen! I put the chicken in the crockpot before I went to bed last night and this morning they were all cooked. Popped them in the mixer and literally seconds later I had shredded chicken. I think it will take me longer to wash the bowl and mixer paddle than it did to shred the chicken. I’m so glad I found this tip!

• kat replied: — September 30th, 2014 @ 6:18 am

If it’ll take longer to wash the bowl and mixer paddle, how is that convenient?

27. Jen November 6, 2013 @ 2:29 pm (#

I love, love, love this tip and use it constantly. What is the best way to defrost the frozen shredded chicken? Or can it be be added to recipes as is and then just heats up in the cooking process? I got a Kraft Recipe Maker that calls for shredded chicken and just curious how you typically use it after it’s been frozen. Thanks!!

28. Lindsay November 12, 2013 @ 4:01 pm (#

Any ideas on ways to shred the chicken if I don’t have a standup mixer? Would a food processor work?

29. Gen January 14, 2014 @ 12:08 pm (#

Also wondering if you used frozen or fresh chicken?

30. Annie November 16, 2014 @ 5:31 pm (#

I have been doing this but am not sure the best way to thaw/ warm the chicken? Was thinking of putting in the crockpot?Most of the recipes I want to use this for need it warm (tacos etc) Any suggestions? Thank you!

• Karly replied: — November 16th, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

Hi Annie!

I try to remember to let this thaw in the fridge all day or even overnight, but let’s be real…that rarely happens. So, I grab a bag straight from the freezer and take the chunk of frozen meat out and pop it in a skillet over medium heat. I use tongs to break the meat up as it thaws. If you’re going to use it for tacos or something, just keep cooking until hot and add your seasonings. If you’re going to put it in a casserole that will go in the oven, just heat it up until it’s not all clumped together and it will get hot with the rest of the casserole. :)

You could try thawing it in a microwave too, but we don’t have one so I just use the stove.

Hope that helps!