Chicken spaghetti with Rotel is a creamy, comforting casserole that is perfect for chilly nights. Serve with a big green salad on the side for a complete meal.
The first time I encountered cheesy chicken spaghetti I was legit confused.
Spaghetti is made with ground beef and tomato sauce, always and forever. My mama told me so. (Have you tried my one pot spaghetti yet?)
But, then I took a bite of that creamy, dreamy, oh so cheesy chicken spaghetti bake and now I’m HOOKED.
This chicken spaghetti recipe is total comfort food, you guys.
If you’ve never given it a try, I hope you do. It’s surprisingly delicious, so cheesy and creamy, and just basically perfect if you ask me.
The Ro*tel adds a tiny little kick, but nothing that you need to worry about if you don’t like spicy food. My wimpy daughter ate this just fine. 😉
How to make easy chicken spaghetti:
A lot of chicken spaghetti recipes are made with Velveeta, which I am not opposed to, but I do prefer this with a homemade cheese sauce. Don’t panic though – this is EASY.
You’re just going to melt some butter in a sauce pan and whisk in some flour. Let that cook for a minute or so.
Whisk in some milk and keep stirring and cooking until the sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Remove that from the heat and stir in your grated cheddar and cream cheese until it’s a smooth, creamy sauce. I whisk in my spices here as well.
Told you the cheese sauce was easy!
Next, you’ll want to dump some cooked spaghetti into a large bowl, along with some cooked, shredded chicken, Ro*Tel, and the cheese sauce.
Stir it all together and pour the mixture into a 9×13 casserole.
Top the dish off with a little extra cheddar – extra cheddar never hurts, right?!
Bake this up until it’s hot, bubbly, and oh so cheesy.
Who wants to dig in?
Serve this up with a big old salad topped with ranch dressing and you have a fantastic dinner. I wish I had another plate of this in front of me right now. 🙂
More family favorite recipes you’ll love:
Turkey Meatloaf: This twist on classic meatloaf is lightened up a bit with ground turkey.
Crockpot Ribs: The easiest way to make ribs ever!
Alfredo Sauce: Whether you’re drizzling this over chicken, pasta, or broccoli it’s always good!
Potato Soup: Loaded with cheese, bacon, and lots of creamy potatoes!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie: Total comfort food!
- 16 ounces spaghetti noodles
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 16 ounces grated cheddar divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 10.5 ounces canned diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the spaghetti. Cook for 2 minutes less than the package directions state. Drain pasta and add to a large mixing bowl with the chicken.
- While pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk the milk into the flour and cook until thickened, whisking constantly, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the milk mixture from the heat and whisk in 10 ounces of grated cheddar along with the cream cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Whisk until mixture is smooth and creamy and the cheese has fully melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the spaghetti and chicken and add the canned tomatoes and chiles.
- Stir well to combine and spread mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cheddar over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.