Slow cooker chicken and dumplings is a favorite in my house. It’s easy to throw the ingredients in your slow cooker and when you come back you’ll have a big bowl of comfort food ready for you. We like lots of dumplings and this recipe doesn’t disappoint!
I am definitely one of those people that is happy to eat soup all year long, but when fall and winter roll around, I really amp it up.
Soups. All day every day. Is there anything more warming, filling, and comforting than a hot bowl of soup?
I’m pretty fond of my chicken gnocchi soup, but my son’s favorite is chicken and dumplings.
This easy crockpot chicken and dumplings recipe makes my life so much simpler. I use canned biscuit dough for the dumplings which makes the recipe so simple, but it still tastes like those classic chicken and dumplings everyone loves.
How to make crockpot chicken dumplings:
We’re keeping this recipe super easy and convenient because we all need easy and convenient comfort food some days, right?
You’re going to start with a couple of pounds of chicken breast (or thighs, if you prefer!) in a slow cooker.
Add some onions, garlic, and cream of chicken soup to the slow cooker. You can use my homemade cream of chicken soup substitute if you don’t like to purchase the canned stuff.
Pour in some chicken broth and season everything with poultry seasoning, parsley, and pepper. Add a bit of salt if you’re using homemade cream of chicken soup, but if you use the canned stuff, you can probably skip it.
Give everything a quick stir and the cover the slow cooker.
You’ll want to cook this on low for about 7 hours or on high for 3 hours.
When the chicken is nice and tender and cooked through, use a couple of forks to shred the meat and give everything a good stir.
Open up a can of biscuits and press the dough into flat rounds. Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut the dough into narrow strips and drop those into the crockpot. Give it quick stir and then cover the pot and cook for another hour.
After an hour, the biscuits should be soft and fluffy. Some slow cookers take longer to cook than others, so you may have to adjust a bit depending on your slow cooker.
That’s it! Serve this up in a big bowl or over a pile of mashed potatoes. Either way, these chicken and dumplings are oh so good!
More crockpot recipes to try:
Crockpot Honey Garlic Chicken: This chicken is so juicy and so flavorful!
Potato Soup: Nothing is tastier than a big bowl of potato soup topped off with cheese and bacon!
Crockpot Pork Chops: These are smothered in a delicious and easy gravy!
Crockpot Ribs: Easily my favorite slow cooker recipe!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 cans (10 ounces each) cream of chicken
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 package 8-count refrigerated biscuit dough
- Add all of the ingredients except for the biscuit dough to a 6 quart slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When chicken is cooked through and tender, use two forks to shred the meat. Stir to combine.
- Open the can of biscuits and press each biscuit flat. Cut the biscuits into narrow strips and add to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or until the biscuits are cooked. Biscuits should be light and fluffy when finished.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Review