This chicken pot pie soup recipe is a favorite in our house! My kids love the crunchy pie crust crackers that I serve on the side!
You know, my husband has long been a hater of soup.
I mean, he will eat it. He just won’t like it. (Except for my chicken gnocchi soup – he loves that one!!)
He prefers meat and potatoes, on a plate, with a fork, because he’s a big manly man.
Or maybe he just really likes to eat with a fork. I don’t know.
Whatever the reason, it’s really hindered my soup making possibilities, until one day I realized that if I wanted soup for dinner, I could make soup for dinner.
I’m the boss of my life.
If he wants meat and potatoes, he can make meat and potatoes.
So far, he’s just happily eaten all the soup recipes I’ve put in front of him.
I think he’s coming around, to be honest.
This chicken pot pie soup recipe was a hit!
Easy chicken soup recipes are my new favorite thing to serve for dinner around here.
This chicken pot pie soup recipe is full of the warm, comforting flavors of my chicken pot pie, but it’s served up in a bowl with little pie crust crackers.
You guys absolutely do not want to skip the pie crust crackers.
I know you’ll be tempted to serve this with traditional saltines or oyster crackers, but hear me out…pie crust is better.
Just start with a store bought pie crust, because we aren’t fancy people. We don’t need homemade pie crust for this one.
Roll the pie crust out, brush on a simple egg wash, and sprinkle on some coarse salt.
Transfer the crackers onto a baking sheet and pop them in the oven. So easy and seriously so much better than saltines in this recipe!
If you enjoy this easy soup recipe, be sure to try my crockpot chicken and dumplings too!
I love easy soup recipes like this and I bet you will too!
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
For the soup
For the pie crust crackers
- 1 store bought pie crust
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- Add the butter to a dutch oven over medium heat and melt.
- Add the onions, potatoes, peas, and carrots to the butter and stir well. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour to the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- While soup is simmering, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust. Whisk together the egg and water and brush over the pie crust.
- Sprinkle with salt and cut into small squares for crackers.
- Bake on a large baking sheet for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- When potatoes are tender, add the chicken, corn, salt, and pepper to the soup and continue cooking until warmed through.
- Serve soup with pie crust crackers on top.