This CHICKEN GNOCCHI SOUP is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner! If you love the Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup, you have to try this!
The other day, on Facebook, I took a poll asking what recipe you’d like to see posted today.
It was between Tuscan roasted vegetables and this chicken gnocchi soup.
Y’all overwhelmingly voted for this soup recipe!
I mean, I choose soup over veggies most days too. I feel you.
And, besides, it’s worked out great because my kids have been so obsessed with Olive Garden lately and this recipe is a riff on the Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup recipe!
They always order is this chicken and gnocchi soup.
I always have the hardest time choosing between soup and salad at Olive Garden. I mean, both are so fantastic.
How’s a girl to choose?
So, now I get the salad and just make this Olive Garden chicken gnocchi soup at home! It’s so easy!
Table of Contents
Chicken Gnocchi Soup Ingredients:
- Cooked shredded chicken – Use leftovers from my Instant Pot Whole Chicken!
- Potato gnocchi – We use store bought. Make your own if you’re feeling ambitious.
- Spinach leaves
- Thyme – People either love thyme or hate it. Feel free to add this herb to taste.
- Heavy Cream – Yes, it’s necessary to make this thick and creamy!
- Chicken Broth
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to make chicken gnocchi soup:
Grab your large soup pot and heat up your olive oil along with onions and celery. Stir this while cooking it for two minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds, again stirring the whole time. Be careful to not overcook the garlic.
Sprinkle in flour to the pot and whisk for a minute.
Now whisk in the milk, heavy cream, and chicken broth. Whisk this for 5 minutes. Add in your chicken, spinach, carrots, thyme, gnocchi, salt, and pepper then stir.
Let this simmer for 10 minutes after which the carrots and gnocchi should be tender.
Serving your gnocchi soup:
Now that you can buy Olive Garden salad dressing by the bottle, I usually serve this soup with a side salad. Lots of fresh tomatoes, olives, red onions, and crisp lettuce, plus the OG salad dressing. Divine!
This also goes great with my creamy onion garlic bread. It’s literally the best garlic bread in the world, in my humble opinion. 😉
If you make this chicken gnocchi soup recipe, I hope you’ll let me know what you think! I’m always anxious to hear how you guys like my recipes.
And, if you haven’t heard, I’ve just created a Facebook group for foodie friends! Please come join us and share recipes while making new friends!
More copy cat recipes you will love:
Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- 16 ounce package potato gnocchi
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onions and celery and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the flour into the pot and whisk for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the chicken broth, cream, and milk. Bring to a simmer, whisking constantly, until soup has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, spinach, gnocchi, carrots, thyme, salt, and pepper and stir.
- Continue simmering for 10 minutes or until gnocchi and carrots are tender and cooked through.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe was originally published in February 2018. It was updated in February 2021.