Crockpot Potato Soup is pure comfort food – perfect for busy nights and it’s extra easy since it’s made in the slow cooker. Top your slow cooker potato soup off with some grated cheddar, fried bacon, and green onions for extra flavor.
Would you believe that my husband gets a little huffy about soup being the main dish of a meal?
I’m sorry, husband, but ain’t nobody got time to cook a 7 course meal on a busy school night.You’ll eat your soup and you’ll like it.
(Okay, okay, he never actually complains, but I KNOW. He prefers a plate o’ meat as his dinner.)
Luckily, we both like this crockpot potato soup recipe because it’s super filling and hearty! Plus I add bacon and the man never complains when bacon is involved. 😉
How to make crockpot cheesy potato soup:
To start, you’ll want to chop some bacon and fry it up. When it’s nearly cooked through, add some onions and garlic to the skillet and let them soften up.
Add the bacon, onion, and garlic to your slow cooker along with some peeled and diced russet potatoes.
Pour chicken broth over the top, cover your slow cooker, and cook on high for 3-4 hours.
Once the potatoes are fork tender, you’ll add flour and milk to a mason jar. Tightly close the lid and shake shake shake to combine.
Pour the flour mixture into the crockpot along with a can of evaporated milk, heavy cream, and grated cheddar. This slow cooker potato soup is going to be so creamy and cheesy!
Cover the crockpot and cook on high for another 30 minutes to thicken the soup.
For this crockpot potato soup recipe, I like to use a potato masher and mash some of the potatoes. It makes the soup extra thick and creamy. You can leave as many or as few chunks of potatoes as you like. Just mash until you reach your desired consistency.
Crockpot Loaded Potato Soup:
I can never leave well enough alone when it comes to potato soup.
It should ALWAYS be loaded up with good stuff, if you ask me.
Just ladle your soup into your bowl and then top with grated cheddar, fried and crumbled bacon, and sliced green onions.
There you have it – loaded potato soup! Simple, right?
More crockpot recipes you might like:
Crock Pot Pork Chops: Smothered pork chops made simple in the slow cooker. Serve these over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.
Slow Cooker Ribs: If you’ve never cooked ribs in the slow cooker before, you’re going to be so surprised with how perfect they are!
Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing: Serious comfort food!
Crockpot Pork Roast: Shred the roast up and serve over mashed potatoes!
Crockpot BBQ Chicken: This chicken is perfect served on a bun or in a baked sweet potato!
Crockpot Potato Soup
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 ½ cups chicken broth
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- bacon, green onions, cheddar, for topping the soup
- Add the bacon to a large skillet and fry until nearly crisp.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet with the bacon and cook until onion has softened and garlic is fragrant.
- Add the bacon, onion, and garlic to a 6 quart slow cooker with the chicken broth and potatoes.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Add the flour and milk to a mason jar and close tightly. Shake well to combine. Alternately, whisk the flour and milk together in a small bowl.
- Pour flour mixture into the soup and stir to combine. Add the cream, evaporated milk, and grated cheddar to the soup and stir.
- Cover and cook on high for 30 more minutes.
- Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to reach the desired thickness for the soup.
- Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with cheddar, bacon, and green onion, if desired.