This crockpot BBQ chicken recipe is so easy to toss together and makes a great sandwich! Add everything to your slow cooker and let the magic happen. You’ll come home to juicy BBQ pulled chicken and a house that smells amazing.
My boys are suckers for any kind of saucy shredded meat on a bun, and these crockpot BBQ chicken sandwiches do not disappoint!
We keep it simple by using the crockpot and doing a bit of doctoring to a bottled sauce.
This turns out so saucy and full of flavor, the chicken is super tender, and everyone just loves this dish!
BBQ Chicken Ingredients:
Chicken Breasts – Thighs would also work well.
Bottled BBQ Sauce – We like Sweet Baby Ray’s, but use your favorite.
Seasonings – We’re doctoring up the sauce by adding brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder. Bring on the flavor!
Coleslaw – Follow the link for my mama’s homemade recipe!
What Readers are Saying!
“I made this and it was perfect. Other recipes (on other blogs) have made the chicken too stringy and not very tasty. I’ll be making this one again.”
How to Make Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken:
Chicken: Toss those chicken breasts (or thighs!) right into the bottom of your slow cooker.
BBQ Sauce: Add the bottled sauce and remaining ingredients to a bowl and whisk to combine. This really amps up the flavor! Pour the sauce over the chicken.
BBQ Sauce Options:
- Sweet Baby Ray’s is a good, classic sauce that works well with these additions.
- Use a Texas style sauce for a spicier, peppery sauce.
- We don’t recommend the thinner sauces that are heavy on the vinegar in this one, though you can certainly try and see what you think.
Slow Cook: Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for four hours. When the chicken is finished, it’ll shred easily with a fork.
For best results…
- You might be tempted to add some extra liquid to your slow cooker, but please don’t. The chicken will release plenty of juices as it starts to cook and the slow cooker keeps all that steamy goodness right inside, so everything is perfectly moist. No extra liquid required!
- It’s important to keep in mind that every slow cooker cooks a bit differently – some run hotter and cook faster than others.
Special Tools Needed To Make BBQ Pulled Chicken:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow Cooker: We really love this model. It has multiple functions, cooks evenly, and has rave reviews on Amazon.
What to serve with crockpot BBQ chicken:
Anything that goes well with pulled pork is going to go great with this slow cooker barbecue chicken!
Yes! Back in the day it may not have been safe as older slowc cookers took too long to heat up, but modern slow cookers heat food quickly enough to avoid the ‘danger zone.’
All slow cookers cook a bit differently, so you can’t rely on just timing alone. You’ll know your chicken is fully cooked when it’s tender enough to easily shred apart with a fork.
Yes, you just want to give it plenty of time to cook through! In this recipe, you’ll likely need to increase the cook time to 6-8 hours if starting with frozen chicken breasts.
This slow cooker barbecue chicken comes out tender, juicy, sweet, and tangy. The red pepper flakes add a bit of heat, but we don’t find it overwhelming at all. Feel free to reduce the amount of red pepper to suit your tastes.
Give this crockpot BBQ chicken recipe a try and let me know what you think! Snap a photo of your dinner and tag me at #bunsinmyoven on Instagram!
More Crockpot Recipes:
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Slow Cooker Ribs
- Crockpot Chicken and Gravy
- Crockpot Lasagna
- Crockpot Smothered Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
Crockpot BBQ Chicken
- Add the chicken breasts to a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Pour the barbecue sauce mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is easily shred with a fork.
- Spoon the chicken onto the sandwich buns and top with coleslaw just before serving.