A creamy, baked chicken noodle casserole that your whole family will devour!
Let’s get real for a minute, guys.
I am married. To a man. Who does not like soup.
Normally, this isn’t much of an issue.
I mean, have we met? Do I look like the type of girl that is going to daintily slurp at a bowl of a soup and then feel full? Um, no. Not happening.
I like soup, don’t get me wrong. But, you better be serving it alongside some bread. Lots of bread. And maybe a salad? Steak would be nice, too. And a baked potato. All of those things, plus soup, please.
Anyway, back to my husband. He doesn’t like soup and so I rarely make soup.
My kids, on the other hand, love them some chicken noodle soup. It’s definitely a favorite of theirs and, while I’m not opposed to serving them soup from a can, sometimes I like to serve them homemade food. You know, once in a blue moon.
So, I’ve compromised. I keep the husband happy by not serving soup, I keep the kids happy by serving soup, and I keep me happy by turning soup into a casserole – and I do this all at once in this one dish. Yes. I’m brilliant. I know.
This seriously couldn’t be simpler. You’ll start with a rotisserie chicken, because ain’t nobody got time for poaching chicken.
You’ll mix all that up with some creamy goodness. You can use a can of cream of celery soup or, if you’re awesome, you can use my homemade cream of chicken soup substitute. It’s easy and it’s less goopy and gloppy and radioactive than the canned stuff.
I like to add a ton of peas and carrots to my chicken and noodle casserole, because they add a little sweetness and color and also, it’s about the only way I can convince my kids to eat peas and carrots.
I also add a special ingredient – spicy brown mustard. It’s probably not the most traditional addition to chicken and noodles, but I love that it helps cut the sweetness and just adds a little kick of flavor. No one would guess you added mustard, but it really just amps things up.
Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 16 ounces egg Noodles
- 1/2 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced
- 10.75 ounces Cream of Celery soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 12 ounces frozen peas and carrots thawed
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the egg noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the noodles are cooking, dice the onion and garlic.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute.
- Add the onion and garlic to a large bowl with the chicken, soup, sour cream, peas and carrots, mustard, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Stir the cooked egg noodles into the creamed mixture and stir to coat.
- Spoon into a 9×13 baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes or until heated through.