These Honey Mustard Wings are perfect for game day. They’re seasoned and baked with crispy skin and tossed in the best homemade honey mustard sauce!
Ah, football season. I get excited just thinking about it. Not because of the sweaty men chasing after an oddly shaped ball, but because of the snacks that are always in abundance when we have friends over to shout at the TV while they watch.
These Honey Mustard Wings are the perfect football food. Easy enough to make (wait til you see our trick for baking the ultimate crispy wings!), a little messy thanks to the honey mustard, and fun to dip in ranch! <— The trifecta of football food.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Wings – You’ll need about four pounds of chicken wing sections, which are not the full wing but the separated flats and drumettes. They’ll bake a lot better and more evenly when in sections.
Baking Powder – This is the secret for getting crispy skin! The baking powder dries the skin out nicely and allows it to crisp up. Be sure to use aluminum-free baking powder or you’ll end up with a funky flavor on your wings.
Seasoning – We’re keeping the seasoning nice and simple with just some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. The honey mustard sauce will add most of the flavor!
Honey Mustard Sauce – You’ll need mayo, yellow mustard, honey, vinegar, and cracked pepper. Such simple ingredients, but major flavor!
What We Love About This Recipe:
- The wings are baked, but they are ultra crispy – like they were deep fried!
- The sauce is homemade, but it’s just a handful of ingredients that you whisk together.
- You can easily bake up a batch of wings and toss them in a variety of sauces. Who doesn’t love variety? Try our Honey BBQ Wings too.
How To Bake Chicken Wings:
Seasoning: Add the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to a mixing bowl. Stir those up and then sprinkle it over the wings. Stir or toss well to coat the chicken wings in the seasoning!
Bake: Place a wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet and arrange the wings in an even layer. This will allow air to flow around the wings and give you the best crispy skin. Bake for 20 minutes.
Flip and bake for another 20 minutes or until they’re cooked through and the skin is crispy. Now we need to make the homemade honey mustard sauce!
I love using this meat thermometer for making sure the meat is fully cooked! Easy for beginners & absolutely worth the low cost.
Sauce: This homemade sauce is easy to make, but you are welcome to use a store bought kind if you’re trying to save time.
To prepare the honey mustard add all of the sauce ingredients to a small bowl and whisk them together until well combined.
Toss: When you’ve prepared the honey mustard sauce and the wings have cooked for 40 minutes (flipped once) you can remove them from the oven and toss them with half of the prepared honey mustard sauce.
Return them to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes. Finally, serve them with some parsley and the remaining leftover honey mustard for dipping!
GAME DAY APPETIZERS & SNACKS!
If you enjoy having friends or family over for game day then you probably also enjoy lots of good snacks and appetizers. That’s the best part, isn’t it?
We’re always ready with lots of savory dips and easy appetizer recipes. Check out some of our favorite game day recipes below!
- Beer Cheese Dip
- Pickle de Gallo
- Cajun Fried Corn
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- 7 Layer Dip
- Hot Dog Chili Recipe
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers
If you know you’ll have leftovers those may store better if you don’t add the honey mustard sauce until after reheating. They’ll still store okay with the sauce too, but the skin will be more soggy. Just keep them covered in the fridge for up to 3 days!
The alkalinity in the baking powder helps break down proteins in the skin which leads to even crispier chicken skin! Just be sure to use aluminum free baking powder so you don’t taste the baking powder.
It’ll take about 45 minutes at 425 degrees. You’ll bake for 20, flip them and bake for another 20, and then add the honey mustard sauce before finishing them off in the oven for another 5 minutes!
Honey Mustard Wings
For the wings:
- 4 pounds chicken wing sections fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- Parsley for garnish
For the honey mustard:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
To make the wings:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a wire rack over a sheet pan. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Use paper towels to dry the chicken wings, removing as much liquid as possible for the most crispy wings.
- Add the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl and sprinkle the seasoning over the top. Stir well to coat the chicken wings.
- Arrange the chicken on the wire rack, skin side up, in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and skin is crispy.
- Remove the wings from the oven and toss with half of the honey mustard. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with leftover honey mustard for dipping.
To make the honey mustard:
- Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine.