These honey BBQ wings are perfect for game day or a fun dinner! They’re seasoned and baked with perfectly crispy skin and then tossed in a sweet honey BBQ sauce!
Football season might just be my favorite season of all, 100% because the food is fun and I could live off wings and dips and little snacks.
These Honey BBQ Chicken Wings are perfect for game day, but they also make a fun dinner. My son asks for B-Dubs to be delivered often and he always gets the honey BBQ wings, so he loves these!
We’re using a honey BBQ sauce, because we like the sweetness, but you could use any variety of sauce you like. Our Bourbon BBQ Sauce would be so good on these wings!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Wings – You’ll need about four pounds of chicken wing sections, which are not the full wing but the separated flats and drumettes. They’ll bake a lot better and more evenly when in sections.
Baking Powder – This sounds like a weird thing to add but it’s going to really help to crisp up the skin. And who doesn’t like crispy chicken wings? Be sure to use aluminum-free baking powder.
Seasoning – Just a mix of salt, garlic powder, and cracked pepper. The honey BBQ will add the most flavor here so we don’t need a lot of seasoning.
Honey BBQ Sauce – You can use store bought or home made! The sauce will get nice and caramelized after brushing it on the wings and letting it bake for a few more minutes.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- These wings always have perfectly crispy skin when you prepare them the right way and add a little baking powder to the skin!
- You can use store bought or your own homemade honey BBQ sauce.
- These wings are perfect for gatherings and game day!
I love using this meat thermometer for making sure the meat is fully cooked! Easy for beginners & absolutely worth the low cost.
How to Make Honey BBQ Wings:
Seasoning: Add the baking powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to a bowl and stir to combine.
Prepare: Dry your wings with paper towels, removing as much liquid as possible. Toss them in the seasoning and then arrange them on a rimmed pan lined with a wire rack.
Bake: Bake the wings for 40 minutes, flipping them halfway through cooking for maximum crispiness. Add the baked wings to a large bowl and toss with the BBQ sauce to coat.
Sauce: Pop them back in the oven for 5 more minutes to finish. This will caramelize the sauce a bit and get it nice and sticky.
Chicken wings are a great appetizer or snack and we love to serve them up on game day when we have gatherings. See below for some more great game day appetizer recipes!
GAME DAY APPETIZERS & SNACKS!
If you enjoy having friends or family over for game day then you probably also enjoy lots of good snacks and appetizers. That’s the best part, isn’t it?
We’re always ready with lots of savory dips and easy appetizer recipes. Check out some of our favorite game day recipes below!
- Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Beer Cheese Dip
- Pickle de Gallo
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- 7 Layer Dip
- Air Fryer Brats
- Hot Dog Chili Recipe
- Keto Jalapeno Poppers
If you know you’ll have leftovers those may store better if you don’t add the honey BBQ sauce until after reheating. They’ll still store okay with the sauce too. Just keep them covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The alkalinity in the baking powder helps break down proteins in the skin which leads to even crispier chicken skin! Just be sure to use aluminum free baking powder so you don’t taste the baking powder.
It’ll take about 45 minutes at 425 degrees. You’ll bake for 20, flip them and bake for another 20, and then add the honey BBQ sauce before finishing them off in the oven for another 5 minutes!
More BBQ Favorites:
Honey BBQ Wings
- 4 pounds chicken wing sections fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 ½ cups Honey BBQ sauce
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a wire rack over a sheet pan. Spray with nonstick spray.
- Use paper towels to dry the chicken wings, removing as much liquid as possible for the most crispy wings.
- Add the baking powder, salt, garlic powder, and pepper to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chicken wings to a large bowl and sprinkle the seasoning over the top. Stir well to coat the chicken wings.
- Arrange the chicken on the wire rack in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for another 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and skin is crispy.
- Remove the wings from the oven and toss with the BBQ sauce. Return to the oven and bake for 5 minutes. Alternately, broil for 1-2 minutes or until sauce is as caramelized as you like.