This 4 Ingredient ROTEL DIP is a creamy, cheesy dip loaded with seasoned beef and big, bold flavors. Get your chips ready, because you won’t be able to resist this easy dip recipe!
My mama has been making Rotel Dip for as long as I can remember.
The way we grew up eating it was just Velveeta and a can of Rotel melted together in a crockpot. It’s still one of my favorite dips in the world.
But, you know me…I gotta amp things up.
I’ve spent many years trying to improve the classic and here we are…Rotel dip with ground beef. (And taco seasoning, because I can never resist taco seasoning!)
Turns out, it just takes 4 ingredients to make the best Rotel cheese dip.
And, hey, if you hate Velveeta, check out my homemade queso instead.
Imagine the next football game. There’s a table full of dip. You have this Rotel dip, keto guacamole, and my restaurant style salsa. You’re in heaven, right? 😉
Rotel Dip Ingredients:
- Ground Beef: We use an extra lean beef here.
- Taco Seasoning: Your favorite packet of seasoning or a homemade blend is perfect here.
- Velveeta Cheese: Nah, it’s not real cheese, but it melts beautifully and we love it in certain dishes. This is one of them!
- Ro*Tel: Canned diced tomatoes with green chiles. We use the original version, but you can get the hot or mild version if you prefer
How to Make Rotel Dip:
Prepare the beef: We like to make our Rotel dip with ground beef for a heartier, more flavorful dip. Brown the beef and drain off the fat.
Season: Stir in 1/4 cup of water and a packet of taco seasoning. Let cook for a few minutes to thicken up.
Melt: For the perfect Rotel cheese dip you’ll want to use Velveeta cheese! Add the cubed pieces of Velveeta and the can of Ro*Tel, which you should not drain, to the skillet with the beef and stir over low heat while the cheese melts.
When ready you can either transfer to a slow cooker to keep warm or serve your Velveeta Rotel dip right from the skillet, just be careful it isn’t too hot!
- Sausage or ground turkey makes a great substitute for the beef.
- Looking for a meatless Rotel dip? Just leave out the meat and melt the Velveeta and Rotel together. Add the taco seasoning if you like or skip it.
- Rotel comes in mild, original, and hot, along with a few other varieties. We always grab the original and this dip does have a bit of kick to it.
Stir any leftover dip into a pound of seasoned beef for extra cheesy tacos or burritos.
More dip recipes!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 16 ounces Velveeta
- 10.5 ounces Ro*Tel
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the beef to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- When the beef is cooked through, drain the grease.
- Add the taco seasoning and ¼ cup of water to the beef and stir to combine.
- Cut the Velveeta into cubes and add to the skillet with the beef.
- Add the Ro*Tel (do not drain) to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a slow cooker to keep warm.
Leave a Review