HOMEMADE QUESO DIP is a must in our house on taco night! We love how creamy and flavorful this queso recipe is. There’s no Velveeta lurking inside, but it’s still perfectly smooth and creamy thanks to my secret ingredient!
I absolutely love the month or so leading up to Cinco de Mayo, because it means that I’m furiously creating and testing allllll of the Mexican recipes I can for you guys.
It’s safe to say that the next few weeks here on the blog will have plenty of Mexican inspired recipes for you to test out in your own homes. Get excited!
This homemade queso dip is one of those recipes that I make often, but have somehow never managed to share on here. Shame on me!
I have a 3 ingredient white queso dip that we make alllllll. the. time. It’s super quick, totally simple, and tastes like the white cheese sauce you get at my favorite Mexican joint. It’s perfect for those nights when you don’t want to fuss with anything.
But, when we want something with a little more oomph, something to really wow friends, and something with a little more flavor and texture, well…this is the recipe!
Spices – Cumin and Onion Powder
Evaporated Milk – One of my secret ingredients!
Cheeses – Cream cheese, shredded cheddar, and shredded Monterey jack!
Pico de Gallo – This is optional, but we love spooning some over the top.
What Readers are Saying!
“This queso recipe was a huge hit! I made it as part of a game day food spread. The guys devoured it. It went so fast I almost didn’t get any- haha! Will definitely be making this again!”
How To Make Queso:
Veggies: This queso recipe starts by softening up onions and jalapeno in a skillet with a little butter. Once they have softened up you can stir in the minced garlic and the spices.
This mixture will add loads of flavor and a nice texture to our queso dip! The jalapenos add just the right amount of heat and flavor.
Cheese: My secret ingredients to making super creamy homemade queso are evaporated milk and cream cheese! They both work together to make an ultra creamy, smooth cheese sauce that just works beautifully.
Add the evaporated milk and cream cheese to the same skillet with the veggies. Once the cream cheese has all melted, you’ll stir in handfuls of Monterey jack and cheddar until the queso is smooth and melty!
We like to thin ours out with a little bit of milk and then sprinkle the top of the queso with some Pico de Gallo. A scoop of guacamole right on top is really good too!
This recipe really cooks quickly and it is the perfect thing for dipping those chips!
Need some chips?
You should definitely check out these homemade air fryer tortilla chips! They are very simple to make and are just begging to be dipped in this queso!
More Mexican Inspired Recipes:
- Chicken Chimichanga
- Taco Mac and Cheese
- Smoked Pork Carnitas
- Instant Pot Chicken Tacos
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
Homemade Queso Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 12 ounces canned evaporated milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar
- 4 ounces shredded monterey jack
- 1/4 cup milk see note
- salt to taste
- Pico de gallo for serving
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and jalapeno and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables have softened.
- Add the garlic, cumin, and onion powder and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the evaporated milk and cream cheese to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the cream cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the shredded cheese a handful at a time, whisking constantly, until all of the cheese has been added and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Add additional milk as desired to reach the consistency you prefer. Season with salt to taste.
- Top with pico de gallo before serving.