Our MEXICAN CHICKEN CASSEROLE is one of our most frequently cooked meals! It’s quick and easy, which is perfect for a weeknight!
It’s hard to say which I love more – a casserole or a taco.
Which is why you’ll find so many recipes from combining my two loves.
This Mexican chicken casserole is loaded with a few of our favorite taco fillings – seasoned chicken, peppers and onions, tomatoes, chiles, cheese, and corn tortillas.
Table of Contents
How to make Mexican Chicken Casserole:
Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt your butter.
Add the peppers to the skillet and cook until softened. This may take about 5 minutes.
Add the cooked peppers to a bowl with the chicken, tomatoes, cheese soup, water, and taco seasoning. Mix this well to combine.
Pour half the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and spread to coat the bottom of the pan. This shouldn’t use the entire mixture.
Chop tortillas into bite-sized pieces and sprinkle half of them over the pan.
Now top this with half the cheddar and what is left of the soup mixture.
And finish topping by adding the remaining tortillas and the remaining cheddar.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream and hot sauce if desired!
With every casserole there are things you can do to change the taste just a little bit.
For starters, I often leave the onions out to keep my husband happy.
Switch out some of the cheddar for pepperjack for an extra creamy kick!
Skip the chicken and use ground beef, if that’s what you’ve got on hand…it’s not Mexican Chicken Casserole anymore, but it’s still good stuff.
More Mexican inspired dishes you will love!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
- 2 bell peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken
- 1 can tomatoes with chiles about 10 ounces
- 1 can condensed cheese soup about 10 ounces
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the peppers to the skillet with the butter and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers to a bowl with the chicken, tomatoes, cheese soup, water, and taco seasoning.
- Pour half of the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and spread to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Chop the tortillas into bite sized pieces and sprinkle half over in the pan.
- Top with half of the cheddar and the remaining soup mixture.
- Top with the remaining tortillas and cheddar.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the top with cilantro and serve with sour cream and hot sauce, as desired.
This post was originally published December 2016. It was updated in December 2020.