My family loves this HOMEMADE GUACAMOLE! It’s so creamy with loads of flavor and is perfect for serving as a dip with chips or for dolloping on tacos, enchiladas, and burritos. I love how quick and simple this recipe is and it’s easy to make it as spicy or mild as you like.
I don’t know what prompted me to try guacamole for the first time. I mean it certainly doesn’t look appetizing the first time you see it.
But I’m so glad I did eventually try it because now I LOVE avocado and sometimes eat a whole one for breakfast. They’re so good! And I heard they were brain food, and we could all use that… 😉
Anyway, my homemade guacamole is a serious favorite with my friends and family. We like it just little chunky with tons of flavor.
This is the best guacamole recipe (in my humble opinion) and I think you’re going to love it too!
This recipe is really simple with your basic guacamole ingredients. The amounts can be changed to suit your own personal tastes, but the ingredients list is below.
- Sour Cream
How to make homemade guac:
I start by placing the avocados in a mixing bowl and mashing them with a fork. I like to leave them a bit chunky, but you can make this as smooth as you like. Just mash until you’ve got a nice consistency.
Stir in the rest of the ingredients and give it a taste.
If your guacamole doesn’t make your taste buds dance, it probably needs either a bit more lime juice or salt. Just keep adding until it makes your heart happy.
As for the jalapeno, I always start with a small amount (I’m a wimp!) and then add more if I think I can handle it.
This is the perfect guacamole dip, so grab your tortilla chips and dig in!
Of course, it also works great when you dollop a (giant) spoonful of it over some Mexican entrees.
More Mexican inspired recipes for you to try:
- Dorito chicken casserole
- Low carb taco casserole
- Taco lasagna,
- Chicken enchilada casserole
- Fried tacos or turkey tacos.
Homemade Guacamole Dip
- 4 large avocados
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 roma tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper more or less, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- Slice the avocados in half and carefully remove the seed. Scoop the flesh out into a mixing bowl using a spoon. Mash the avocado with a fork to the consistency you prefer.
- Stir in the sour cream.
- Dice the tomato and onion. Mince the garlic, jalapeno, and cilantro. Add to the bowl of avocado.
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze one half of the lime into the bowl.
- Add the cumin and salt and stir to combine.
- Taste the guacamole and add more jalapeno, lime juice, and/or salt, as needed to get the flavor you prefer.
- Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published in 2010. It was updated in March of 2021.