TACO CASSEROLE starts with a handful of ingredients and gets layered together to make the best taco lasagna with tortillas! It’s a big hit with our whole family and makes taco night so fun!
Oh, yes, that’s right. I made you all a Mexican lasagna with tortillas instead of noodles.
This is one of those easy weeknight recipes that the entire family gets excited about when they see it come out of the oven, all steamy and cheesy and gooey.
I mean, my family love love loves taco night.Thank goodness for that, because we seriously eat some form of tacos every couple of days. My fried tacos are always a hit.
In fact, I’ve been on a major scrambled egg taco kick lately. It’s the easiest dinner in the world – scramble some eggs, stuff them in a steamy tortilla, top with cheddar, and drizzle on some hot sauce.
My husband thinks it’s kind of weird, but my daughter and I are absolutely in love with scrambled egg tacos.
It’s probably the most perfect comfort food on the planet and they takes about 5 minutes to make. Hard to go wrong with that.
This taco lasagna is perfect for busy weeknights!
The kids never complain about tacos, but the husband starts to get this look in his eyes when he sees me pull out the tortilla warmer. A look that says, “can we maybe eat dinner with a fork just once this week?”
Forks. Pfft. Overrated.
But, I love the man, so I turned my love of tacos into this taco lasagna with tortillas!
You’re going to flip for this one.
This recipe is just seven ingredients and beyond simple to throw together!
I use a can of Nacho Cheese Soup in here, because hello. Nacho cheese!
You can swap in cheddar soup or cream of chicken/mushroom soup, if you prefer! You could also probably get away with just melting up some Velveeta with milk in place of the canned soup or using a jar of cheese sauce. I mean, this is a pretty simple recipe and I can’t imagine you’ll be able to mess it up!
Pin this taco casserole to save for later!
I get a lot of questions about the tortillas in this recipe and whether or not they get soggy. I don’t find them soggy myself, but if it’s something that you’re worried about, I’m happy to say that yes, corn tortillas would work instead. 🙂
Update: Y’all loved this recipe so much that I decided we needed a burrito version as well! Check out my Burrito Casserole and give that a try too!
All of these Mexican casseroles are so good and I just know you’re going to love them all. Mexican for dinner every night! 🙂
I also made a chicken enchilada casserole that is similar to this one.
Give this taco lasagna a try and let me know what you think!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can Ro*Tel diced tomatoes with chiles drained
- 1 can Nacho Cheese Soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 12 8-inch soft tortillas
- Guacamole, cilantro, sour cream for topping, as desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x9 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the beef to a large skillet over medium heat and crumble as it cooks. Drain grease when cooked through.
- Add the taco seasoning and water to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Dump the tomatoes, cheese soup, and sour cream into a medium mixing bowl. Stir in the cooked meat.
- Place 3 tortillas in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with 1/3 of the meat mixture.
- Repeat layers, ending with a layer of tortillas on the top. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and melty.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro, guacamole, and extra sour cream, as desired.