Taco cornbread casserole made easy with a box of my favorite corn muffin mix! I top this with fresh jalapenos and sliced black olives – what will you put on yours?
You guys. Whew.
Yesterday was my son’s graduation party.
Like, he graduated from high school.
And now he’s a grown man and I don’t get to rock him to sleep anymore.
What is this life? How did this happen so QUICKLY?
But, anyway, yesterday we had a huge party with a nacho bar and a walking taco station. I made a quadruple batch of this restaurant style salsa. It was a wee little bit more than we needed, but it will go nicely with the 3 pounds of queso and 5 pounds of taco meat we also have leftover. 😉
The dessert table had a donut stand and my browned butter rice krispies treats and some snack mix bars, because those are my boy’s favorite things.
I know we’re going to get sick of tacos this week, because there are just sooo many leftovers, which is why I thought today would be the perfect day to share this taco cornbread casserole with you guys.
Y’all love my Jiffy cornbread casserole, but this one has a Mexican twist that you are going to die for.
Taco cornbread casserole:
To make this casserole, you’ll start with some ground beef and taco seasoning. Make your taco meat and stir in some Ro*Tel. I love those diced tomatoes and green chiles!
Add all that goodness to a 9×13 baking dish.
The cornbread topping starts with a box of cornbread mix. I’m sorry, but I love those little Jiffy cornbread mixes.
You’ll add milk and egg, as instructed on the box. Next you’ll stir in some diced green chiles and canned corn for flavor and crunch.
The cornbread mixture gets spread over the taco meat. This will form a fairly thin layer, but it puffs up a bit as it bakes.
Once your cornbread is nearly finished baking, sprinkle on some cheese and finish it off in the oven.
I like to top my Jiffy Mexican cornbread casserole with fresh jalapeno and sliced black olives, but diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and diced onion are all nice too.
Jiffy Mexican cornbread casserole:
This quick cornbread casserole is so simple to make and it has all those Mexican flavors we all love.
What will you top yours with?
More Mexican inspired recipes to try:
Crockpot Chicken Fajitas: The easiest way to make fajitas and it all starts with a slow cooker.
Barbacoa: One of my all time favorite recipes! We use this shredded beef in everything from tacos to burritos to enchiladas.
Chicken Taco Soup: If you’re following Weight Watchers, this one is zero points!
Taco Lasagna: This one is a reader favorite! Have you tried it yet?
Taco Cornbread Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 10 ounces Ro*Tel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1 box (8.5 ounces) Jiffy corn muffin mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup canned corn
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 cup grated cheddar
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapeno
- 1/4 cup sliced olives
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat, crumbling as it cooks. Drain fat and return beef to the pan.
- Add the taco seasoning and Ro*Tel (do not drain) to the pan and stir well to combine over medium heat. Cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer the beef to the prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Mix together the corn muffin mix, milk, egg, corn, and chiles until just combined.
- Spread corn muffin mixture over the meat.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cornbread is nearly set.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese and return to the foven to finish baking, about 5 minutes.
- Serve topped with sliced jalapeno and olives or any other taco toppings you enjoy.
Leave a Review