Snack Mix Bars are the gooey, peanut butter-y treat that my kiddos request again and again. These crunchy sweet and salty bars are loaded with all our favorite things!
My oldest son, who is now somehow 18 years old, has always been the biggest fan of my food blogging career.
He’s always happy to taste test whatever creation I set in front of him and the kid doesn’t mind being honest with his opinions either. 😉
I first made these no bake bars back in 2012 and he STILL asks for them regularly. They made an impression and they quickly became a favorite around here.
If you like rice krispies treats or my Christmas Crunch Bars, you’ve really got to try these snack mix bars.
They’re so gooey and chewy and crispy and crunchy and peanut buttery and chocolaty. Basically all the good things.
How to make snack bars:
To start, grab a whole bunch of goodness and dump it in a bowl: Chex cereal (whatever variety you prefer, I like Rice), small pretzel sticks, chocolate chips, and m&m candies.
Next, you’ll add some butter and peanut butter to a large pot and stir well until melted and creamy.
Stir in some marshmallows and let those melt. This mixture is heaven and I could eat it with a spoon.
Pour that goo over the cereal goodies and start stirring.
Spread the mix into a 9×13 pan. I recommend using a piece of greased parchment paper to press this all into the pan with your hands. It’s really the easiest method.
These do need to set up for a couple of hours to let all that goo meld everything together, but that’s it. You’re done!
Who wants to dig into one of these right now?
These little treats have the sweet salty thing going on. The snack mix is made up of rice chex cereal, pretzel sticks, and lots of m&ms. I used a mixture of plain, peanut, and peanut butter m&ms, because I'm wild and crazy, but you can use whatever type of m&ms you like best. I also stirred in a few chocolate chips, just for fun.
- 3 cups pretzel sticks snapped in half
- 2 1/3 cups chex cereal any variety
- 2 cups m&ms any variety
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips any variety
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 5 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
- In a large bowl, combine pretzels, cereal, m&ms, and chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt together the butter and peanut butter over low heat. Stir in the marshmallows and continue to cook over low heat until the marshmallows are melted.Pour over the snack mix and toss to coat.
- Press mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with wax or parchment paper. Firmly press mixture together to ensure that the bars stick together when they have cooled. Refrigerate until the mixture is completely cool and firm. Cut into bars and serve.
We prefer Rice Chex, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and peanut butter m&m candies in this recipe, but you can use any variety that you like best.
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on bunsinmyoven.com should only be used as a general guideline.
Adapted from Inn Cuisine