Low carb Mexican food in the form of a taco casserole! My whole family loves this tasty twist on taco night!
Okay, friends. I’m here today with something delicious.
I’ve been doing low carb here and there for awhile now and it’s such a great way of eating. I’m always full, satisfied, and I lose weight!
But, I inevitably switch back to all carbs all the time, because…life. And donuts.
Nobody can resist donuts. Nobody.
Anyway, one thing that really helps me stick to the diet for a decent amount of time is to have access to my favorite foods – like low carb casseroles and low carb Mexican food. This Mexican ground beef casserole is one of those things that keeps me happy.
I just whipped up some taco meat, added in some cream cheese for extra goodness, and topped it off with eggs.
I know the eggs sound weird, but this doesn’t taste egg-y at all and it binds everything together into a low carb casserole.
Anyway, if you remember my low carb cheeseburger casserole, you’re going to recognize the inspiration behind this recipe.
This recipe is pretty similar, but it’s full of Mexican flavors!
Because who doesn’t want things that are full of Mexican flavor?
This is a bit higher in carbs than the cheeseburger casserole version, because taco seasoning and spices are full of carbs. So rude of them, right?
You can reduce the seasoning a bit to your taste if you’d like to reduce carbs, but at just 5 net carbs per serving, I think this is just fine!
Besides, you’ll really be satisfied with just the one serving, because this is so full of eggs, beef, and cheese. Super hearty and filling!
You should also check out my buffalo chicken casserole. It’s low carb and is another twist on this recipe. Seriously good stuff!
Full nutrition information is posted below the recipe card! Hope you guys enjoy!
Low Carb Taco Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning (or homemade)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar
- 1/2 cup grated pepperjack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and jalapeno to the beef and cook until onion is translucent. Drain any grease.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and salsa and stir to combine.
- Crack the eggs in a medium mixing bowl and whisk together with the hot sauce and heavy cream.
- Pour the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Cool 5 minutes before cutting and serving.