King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a cheesy casserole full of chicken, onions, peppers, and lots of Mexican flavors! We love this King Ranch Casserole in our house and I bet you will too!
I’m a total Midwesterner, you guys. It comes out most in my food choices.
Ranch dressing: goes on everything!
Corn: for every meal!
Casseroles: every night of the week!
Casseroles are a definite favorite and this King Ranch Casserole combines another favorite of ours: Tex-Mex! So good!
Cream of Chicken – Use the kind in a can or try our cream of chicken soup substitute!
Veggies – You’ll need bell peppers, onions, and a can of Ro*Tel.
Chicken – We’re using shredded, cooked chicken. This is a perfect use for a rotisserie chicken or try our freezer shredded chicken. You can also use ground chicken or turkey in this casserole.
Taco seasoning – Store bought is fine, but this keto taco seasoning is our go to, because it doesn’t’ contain the fillers in the packets and it has a whole lot more flavor.
Cheddar – Every casserole needs cheese, in my opinion. We’re using cheddar, but Monterey jack or pepper jack also work well.
Substitute cream of chicken soup
This recipe does use a couple cans of cream of chicken soup and I know some of you are not fond of that stuff. No worries! Just swap in my cream of chicken soup substitute and you’re good to go!
How to make King Ranch Casserole:
Melt some butter over a medium skillet and add a diced onion and peppers and cook until softened.
In a medium bowl, stir your onion mixture with canned tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning.
Cut tortillas into small squares. Spread out the soup mixture into a 9×13 baking dish. Top with half of your chicken, then a third of your tortillas and cheese.
Top with the remaining soup mixture and repeat the layering.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro before serving.
This King Ranch Casserole is named after King Ranch, a ranch in Texas that is one of the largest in the United States. Story goes that this is a popular dish on the ranch.
We tend to serve this hearty casserole with a side of chips, guac, and queso. It also goes well with a green salad or Mexican style rice.
More casserole recipes to try:
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 bell peppers any color, diced
- 20 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 10 ounce can Ro*Tel tomatoes with chiles
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat and melt. Stir in the diced onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers to a medium bowl, along with the cream of chicken soup, Ro*Tel tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Cut the tortillas into small squares.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the chicken, followed by 1/3 of the tortillas, and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with 1/2 of the remaining soup mixture.
- Repeat the layers – the top layer will consist of just tortillas, soup, and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and serve.
Leave a Review