King Ranch Chicken Casserole is a cheesy casserole full of chicken, onions, peppers, and lots of Mexican flavors! We love this King Ranch Casserole in our house and I bet you will too!
I’m a total Midwesterner, you guys. It comes out most in my food choices.
Ranch dressing: goes on everything!
Corn: for every meal!
Casseroles: every night of the week!
I just can’t help myself. It’s how I was raised, okay? Except for the casserole thing. My mama doesn’t like casseroles (and she likes everyone. Oh, Bieber. Get outta my head.), so we actually never ate them growing up. I think that maybe I’m making up for lost time here.
This King Ranch Casserole is pure comfort food!
I mean, who wouldn’t want casseroles every day? They’re always so full of good stuff, like cheese. And cheese. More cheese. Extra cheese. All the cheese.
If you’ve never had a king ranch chicken casserole, it’s a Mexican casserole that is so freakin’ easy to put together. It’s full of good stuff like Ro*Tel and corn tortillas and shredded chicken. And, of course, all that cheese I mentioned.
This recipe does use a couple cans of cream of chicken soup and I know some of you are not fond of that stuff. No worries! Just swap in my cream of chicken soup substitute and you’re good to go!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the butter to a medium skillet over medium heat and melt. Stir in the diced onion and peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add onions and peppers to a medium bowl, along with the cream of chicken soup, Ro*Tel tomatoes, water, and taco seasoning. Stir well to combine.
- Cut the tortillas into small squares.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Top with 1/2 of the chicken, followed by 1/3 of the tortillas, and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with 1/2 of the remaining soup mixture.
- Repeat the layers - the top layer will consist of just tortillas, soup, and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle chopped cilantro over the top and serve.