This CHILI DOG CASSEROLE is made with a simple homemade chili mixed with hot dogs and topped off with crispy tater tots. This is kid-friendly comfort food that is perfect for chilly nights! Big thanks to Red Gold® Tomatoes for sponsoring this post.
This time of year means one thing in my house: all the comfort food, all the time.
I mean, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but it’s cold out there.
I need warm, homey, soul-satisfying comfort food.
And could we top that comfort food with tater tots? Yasssss.
You’re going to love this cheesy chili dog casserole, but more importantly: your kids are going to go nuts for this one! So good! And did I mention it’s totally easy?
How to make a chili cheese dog casserole with tater tots:
First up, let’s whip up our super simple homemade chili.
Brown up some ground beef with onions and garlic.
We’re going to use Red Gold ® Diced Chili Ready Tomatoes to add loads of fresh flavor.
I love Red Gold products because they’re non-GMO, there is nothing artificial, they’re family-owned, grown, and made in the USA!
Their chili ready tomato products have that traditional chili flavor thanks to the spices that have already been added, making it easier for busy families to make hearty, delicious meals.
You’ll also want to add in some tomato sauce.
Red Gold does make a Chili Ready Tomato Sauce, so if you can find that (it’s newer, so might be a bit trickier to find, but check their store locator!), feel free to use that! Otherwise, regular tomato sauce will work just great!
Red Gold also just came out with Chili Ready Crushed Tomatoes, so keep an eye out for that too!
Season things up with chili powder, cumin, and salt. Easy, right?
Stir in some chopped up hot dogs and then pour this into a 9×13 baking dish.
This bakes in just 25 minutes.
I’m ready to dig in. How about you?
What to serve with this chili dog tater tot casserole:
This is a meal on it’s own, but we like to serve alongside a green salad with ranch dressing.
Want more cozy foods?
I worked with Red Gold® Tomatoes to create this homemade tomato soup and it’s a favorite in our house on chilly days. Serve with a grilled cheese and it’s a total win.
A big plate full of pasta with homemade Alfredo sauce is always a go-to when we need comfort food, too!
Chili Dog Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 hot dogs, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces Red Gold® Tomato Sauce
- 14 ounces Red Gold® Chili Ready Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 28 ounces frozen tater tots
- Brown the beef, onions, and garlic in a large, deep skillet over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. When the meat is cooked through, drain and return to pan.
- Stir in the hot dogs, chili powder, cumin, salt, tomato sauce, and diced tomatoes. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. While chili is cooking, preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Carefully pour chili into a 13x9 baking dish and top with the cheddar cheese.
- Place tater tots in an even layer over the chili.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until tots are crisp. Remove from oven and serve immediately.