This Taco Tater Tot Casserole recipe starts off with seasoned beef and a mixture of pinto beans, Mexican corn, chiles, and cheese. It all gets topped off with tater tots and then baked until the casserole is hot and melty and the tots are crispy.
Today is a good day for those of us who enjoy a nice casserole.
I’m bring y’all a Mexican tater tot casserole recipe that I just know is going to rock your socks off. It. is. good.
If you like tacos or Mexican food or tater tots or casseroles or any combination of those things, prepare for a super tasty dinner!
Bonus: Kids usually love all of these things, so it’s sure to be a kid favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tater Tots – Straight from the freezer section! Any brand you like works fine.
Ground Beef – We prefer lean beef, but ground turkey will also work well.
Veggies – You’ll be adding in diced sweet onion, canned Southwest corn, canned pinto beans, and canned green chiles. The Southwest corn is a mix of corn and peppers and might be called fiesta corn or Mexi-corn.
Taco Seasoning – You can use a packet of seasoning from the store or follow the link to check out an easy homemade taco seasoning recipe! I use it in all my taco dishes.
Taco Sauce – You can use either mild or spicy hot taco sauce in this recipe, and any brand will work!
Cream of Chicken Soup – This is going to add lots of creamy flavor to the taco tater tot casserole! You can use the canned kind or follow the link for an easy homemade substitute recipe!
Cheese – I like to add lots of shredded cheddar to make a cheesy taco casserole! You can swap it out for a different cheese if you want or add other cheeses to the mix.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- Casserole recipes are so easy to make and so filling! It’s an easy weeknight dinner that makes enough for the whole family.
- You can adjust ingredients in this to suit your taste. Want it spicier? Add a spicier sauce, or more green chiles, or even some diced jalapeno!
- I’ve never seen a kid turn down tater tots or tacos. It’s always a win!
🌮How to Make Taco Tater Tot Casserole:
Ground Beef: Brown the beef and onion in a skillet and then stir in the taco seasoning.
Combine: Add the beef to a mixing bowl along with the pinto beans, Mexi-corn, diced green chiles, cream of chicken soup, and taco sauce. Stir to combine and spread into a 9×13 baking dish.
You could also use my pressure cooker pinto beans in this recipe!
Bake: Sprinkle cheddar over the taco casserole and then top with tater tots. Bake for about 45 minutes to get the tots nice and crispy.
- Ground chicken or turkey work well in place of the beef.
- Swap black beans for the pinto beans.
- Use my cream of chicken soup substitute instead of the canned stuff.
Heat up leftovers and spoon into a large tortilla shell, fold like a burrito, and enjoy!
This taco tater tot casserole should last for 4 to 5 days in the fridge if you keep it in an airtight container. I have not tried freezing it but I think that might work too.
You do not need to drain the canned green chiles, but you will need to drain the canned corn and pinto beans!
Make It a Meal!
Pair this with…
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Queso Dip
- Air Fryer Street Corn
- Keto Guacamole
- 7 Layer Dip
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Refried Bean Dip
Taco Tater Tot Casserole
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef and onion to a large skillet and cook, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the beef is cooked through. Drain the fat, and stir in the taco seasoning to coat. Add the beef mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the beans, corn, green chiles, cream of chicken soup, and taco sauce to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spread the beef mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Arrange the tater tots in an even layer over the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.