This TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE is pure comfort food and it’s one of the easier ways to get my kiddos to eat their veggies!
I’m such a sucker for a casserole.
I think it’s partly because casseroles nearly always involve cheese and who doesn’t love cheese?This tater tot casserole with veggies is a hit in my house…yes, even though there are things like peas, carrots, and green beans lurking inside.
I think tater tots just make every food kid-friendly. Haha!
How to make tater tot casserole:
This is a brief walkthrough to make the recipe. For full instructions, scroll down to the recipe card.
This is a tater tot casserole with beef, so you’ll want to start by browning up some ground beef with a little onion and garlic.
Once the meat is cooked through, drain the fat and stir in a can of mixed vegetables and some cream of chicken soup. You can use my cream of chicken soup substitute if you prefer something homemade! It works great here.
I add in a bit of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce to give this a little depth of flavor, but don’t worry…it won’t come out spicy at all!
Stir that all up and spread it in a 9×13 baking dish.
Sprinkle on some cheddar and then top it all off with frozen tater tots.
This bakes up in 45 minutes.
Don’t you wish you had a plate of this comfort food goodness in front of you right now? We’re obsessed.
Can tater tot casserole be frozen?
This tater tot casserole freezes beautifully.
Prepare just up to baking and then cover tightly and pop it in the freezer.
To bake, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as directed. It may take an extra 10 minutes or so to heat through.
What to serve with tater tot casserole:
This tater tot casserole is a meal by itself thanks to the protein, veggies, and potatoes! That said, something light goes well with this dish, like my mad dog salad.
Amp up the veggie goodness by serving with a side of cauliflower mac and cheese!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces canned mixed vegetables
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a large skillet and cook, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the beef is cooked through. Drain the fat and add the beef mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mixed vegetables, cream of chicken soup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spread the beef mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Arrange the tater tots in an even layer over the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.