This TATER TOT CASSEROLE RECIPE is pure comfort food and it’s one of the easier ways to get my kiddos to eat their veggies!
I’m such a sucker for a casserole.
I think it’s partly because casseroles nearly always involve cheese and who doesn’t love cheese?
This tater tot casserole with veggies is a hit in my house…yes, even though there are things like peas, carrots, and green beans lurking inside.
I think tater tots just make every food kid-friendly. Haha!
How to make tater tot casserole:
Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a large skillet and cook, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the beef is cooked through.
Drain the fat and dump the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
Add the vegetables, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and cream of chicken soup to the bowl and stir. You can use a cream of chicken soup substitute if you prefer!
Don’t worry about the hot sauce!
The hot sauce will not make this recipe spicy at all. It just adds some depth to the flavor. Your kids will still love it!
Add this mixture to your oiled 9×13 pan and spread it all out evenly.
Sprinkle the top of that with shredded cheese then add a layer of frozen tots on top of the cheese.
Bake for 45 minutes and it is ready to serve!
Crispy tots, seasoned beef, plenty of veggies, and melty cheese. What more could you want in a dinner?
Can tater tot casserole be frozen?
This tater tot casserole freezes beautifully.
Prepare just up to baking and then cover tightly and pop it in the freezer.
To bake, thaw in the fridge overnight and then bake as directed. It may take an extra 10 minutes or so to heat through.
What to serve with tater tot casserole:
This tater tot casserole is a meal by itself thanks to the protein, veggies, and potatoes! That said, something light goes well with this dish, like my mad dog salad.
Amp up the veggie goodness by serving with a side of cauliflower mac and cheese!
Tater Tot Casserole
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ sweet onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 15 ounces canned mixed vegetables
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a large skillet and cook, breaking the meat up as it cooks, until the beef is cooked through. Drain the fat and add the beef mixture to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the mixed vegetables, cream of chicken soup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce to the bowl and stir well to combine.
- Spread the beef mixture into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Arrange the tater tots in an even layer over the cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the tater tots are golden brown and crispy.