TATER TOT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE is hearty, filling, and absolutely packed with our favorite breakfast foods: bacon, sausage, and tater tots! Everything bakes together into this cheesy dreamy casserole that we like to serve up for breakfast or brinner!
My husband is basically obsessed with breakfast foods.
If I’m making a grocery list and ask him what he wants for dinner, he always asks for some sort of breakfast food. Usually biscuits and gravy, but lately we’ve been mixing it up with this tater tot breakfast casserole with sausage and bacon.We all love the breakfast meats, so the fact that this breakfast casserole has both bacon and sausage is a total win in our house!
This makes a great Christmas breakfast casserole too…decadent, hearty, and filling enough to get you through the unwrapping of all those gifts. Plus, it’ll hold you over until the fancy Christmas dinner!
If you like traditional tater tot casserole, you’ll love this breakfast version!
How to make tater tot casserole with sausage and bacon:
You’ll need a pound of breakfast sausage and 6 strips of bacon all cooked up and ready to go for this recipe. We like to chop the bacon before frying, but you can also fry it up and then crumble it.
Add the meat to a greased 9×13 baking dish and then top it off with some grated cheddar.
Whisk together eggs, green chiles, salt, and pepper and then pour that into the casserole dish.
Arrange some tater tots in an even layer of the top and pop the dish in the oven.
This breakfast tater tot casserole bakes in about 45 minutes.
If you’d like to make this for Christmas morning (or any busy morning!), you can make this in advance.
We like to get everything prepared up to the tater tots and then cover and refrigerate overnight. Place the tots on in the morning, just before baking.
Alternately, you can bake completely and then just reheat in a low oven for 20 minutes.
What to serve with breakfast casserole:
This Belgian waffle recipe is literally the best and my kids love them!
And, of course, I wrote an entire book of pancake recipes that are perfect for breakfast! Check out my book, Stack Happy!
We never make breakfast casserole without a side of this brown sugar cinnamon fruit salad. 🙂
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Add the sausage to a skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring often to break up the sausage, until the sausage is cooked through. Drain the grease and spread the sausage in a single layer in the prepared pan.
- Add the bacon to the skillet and cook until crisp, stirring often. Remove with a slotted spoon and sprinkle over the sausage.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Add the eggs, milk, chiles, salt, and pepper to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over the casserole.
- Arrange the tater tots in a single layer over the egg mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until eggs are set.
- Sprinkle with chives before serving.