This chili lime chicken recipe is so juicy and flavorful after a quick marinade in an easy mixture of lime juice, chili powder, and more! So fresh and zesty – perfect for grilling!
We love grilling out all year long, but summer is our favorite for fresh, bold flavors like this Chili Lime Chicken.
This juicy grilled chicken is perfect served as is, maybe with a side of esquites and some chips and mango avocado salsa, but it’s also tasty when you slice it up and serve it with tortillas and all your favorite taco toppings!
Chili Lime Chicken is easy enough for a weeknight, only needs a couple of hours to marinate (but can go for longer!), and grills up quickly.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken – We’re using boneless, skinless breasts but thighs are also a good choice.
Seasoning – For the spices you’ll use some chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and cumin. Some brown sugar will also help to balance out the spicy lime flavors!
Lime Juice – Freshly squeezed lime juice will go into the marinade and give the chili lime chicken its distinctive flavor!
Olive Oil – To go with the marinade, it’ll add flavor and help coat the chicken in the spices.
Cilantro – I’m adding some freshly minced cilantro to the marinade and also garnishing the chicken with it just before serving! Use parsley if you’re allergic to cilantro.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- The marinade is easy to put together but so flavorful! The chili and lime juice work perfectly with grilled chicken.
- We love to grill up a double batch and use the leftovers in tacos.
- This chili lime marinade also works well on pork chops.
I love using this meat thermometer for making sure the meat is fully cooked! Easy for beginners & absolutely worth the low cost.
How to Make Chili Lime Chicken:
Prepare: To get started you’ll whip up the chili lime marinade! Add the olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, and spices to a ziptop bag or a large bowl and whisk to combine. Next, pound out the chicken breast to an even thickness.
Marinate: When the chicken is ready you can add it to the marinade and toss to coat it well. For best results you’ll want to let it marinate in the fridge for about 2 to 4 hours!
You can marinate the chicken for longer but I wouldn’t do more than 12 hours. The acidity in the lime juice will quickly start to break the chicken down, which will make for a funky textured chicken breast.
Grill: Heat up a grill and start grilling! If the weather won’t allow it you can also cook the chili lime chicken indoors with a grill pan on the stove. It’ll take about 5-6 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Always make sure that chicken reaches a safe internal temp of 165 degrees! I’ve linked to my favorite meat thermometer above.
The Ninja Foodi Indoor Grill is an indoor countertop grill with 6 different functions ranging from grilling to air frying to dehydrating to roasting. It has over 10,000 5 star reviews!
Serve: We always let our chicken rest for 5 minutes after grilling to let the juices redistribute. Sprinkle your chili lime chicken with some minced cilantro and serve!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHILI LIME CHICKEN:
There are lots of great sides that would pair well with this grilled chicken. Here are a few good choices:
- Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
- Mexican Potato Salad
- Cajun Fried Corn
- Mexican Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Restaurant Style Salsa
Grills can vary pretty widely depending on what kind of grill it is (charcoal, gas, pellet) and a few other factors. The best temp for grilling chicken is 350 to 450 degrees over direct or indirect heat. Always check with a meat thermometer to make sure chicken reaches a safe internal temp of 165 degrees.
This chili lime chicken will last 2 to 3 days in the fridge if it is well sealed. You can also freeze the chicken. It should last for about 3 months.
MORE MARINATED CHICKEN RECIPES!
Chili Lime Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts about 5 ounces each
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Add the oil, lime juice, cilantro, and spices to a large ziptop bag or a large dish and whisk well to combine.
- Pound out the chicken to an even thickness and add to the marinade. Toss chicken in the marinade to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat.
- Add the chicken to the grill and cook for 5-6 minutes per side or until an internal thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Remove from the heat and let rest 5 minutes. Sprinkle with additional cilantro, if desired.