I have a confession to make. Before I do, please promise me that you won’t shun me. Are you ready?
My children eat cold cereal for breakfast every morning. No, I mean EVERY morning. And they aren’t eating the healthy shredded wheat crap either. They eat the Lucky Charms and Frosted Flakes and Sugar Filled Sugar Lumps kind of cereal.
Go ahead, say it with me: Bad mom!
I can’t help it. They like instat oatmeal, but it has more sugar than most of the cereal they eat. They like bacon but that’s not exactly a health food. They love fruit, but not for breakfast. They won’t eat eggs unless they’re in cookie batter.
I’m pretty much okay with it, but sometimes I want to eat breakfast myself and I really don’t do cereal. I like cinnamon rolls and french toast and chocolate donuts and, wait a minute! I think I see where they learned their poor breakfast habits!
Let’s just move on from my bad examples and I’ll show you the sugar donut muffins I baked up for breakfast the other day. You’re gonna love these. They taste just like a cake donut, but they are baked in muffin tins. After they bake you pop them out of the muffin tin, dunk ’em in melted butter and then roll ’em around in a cinnamon and sugar mixture. They were so delicious warm, but the next morning? They were like little bites of heaven. The butter had really soaked in and the flavor was much more pronounced. Oh my. You’re really going to need to try these, both because they are delicious and because they are ridiculously simple.
Sugar Donut Muffins
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup melted butter for dipping
- 1/2 cup sugar for rolling
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon for rolling
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl beat together sugar and egg until light and fluffy.
- In small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Pour into sugar/egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add in vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla extract. Mix well.
- Pour into muffin tins, filling each about 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until tester comes out clean.
- Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave.
- Stir together sugar and cinnamon in another small bowl.
- When the muffins are done allow to cool for a few minutes, until you are able to handle them easily.
- Dunk the tops of the muffins in the melted butter and then the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Recipe from Baking Bites