MONKEY BREAD MUFFINS are a family favorite way to get that monkey bread fix! Easy to grab and go, they bake up faster, and the kids love to help to make these.
You’ve certainly had the classic monkey bread before right?
With the cinnamon sugar biscuits and the simple caramel sauce?
It’s a weekend staple in our house, to be honest. Everyone loves it!
But sometimes you don’t need a giant pan full of monkey bread staring you in the face all day or you just want get breakfast on the table quicker. Enter these monkey bread muffins!
This recipe makes just 10 muffins – much more reasonable than the whole pan when you’re just feeding a small family.
Plus, these bake in 13 minutes verses 35 minutes. What’s not to love about that?
Refrigerated Biscuits – We prefer the homestyle biscuits for this rather than the flaky layers.
Sugar – Granulated sugar for coating the biscuits.
Brown Sugar – This is for making the caramel sauce.
Powdered Sugar – If you’d like to make the *optional* glaze to drizzle over the top, you’ll also need powdered sugar.
How to Make
Cut the Biscuits: The first thing you’ll want to do is open up your package of biscuits and cut each one into 12 pieces to form small chunks of dough.
Coat the Biscuits: Toss the biscuit pieces in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Be sure to get them fully coated.
Make the Caramel: Homemade caramel sounds intimidating, but this one is just a mixture of brown sugar and butter, cooked over low heat until it comes to a boil. Easy peasy!
Assemble: Place 9 pieces of biscuit dough into a muffin well and then drizzle with a spoonful of the caramel sauce. Repeat to fill 10-11 muffin wells.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Use the larger Grands! biscuits.
- Shake the biscuit pieces in a bag full of cinnamon and sugar to ensure they’re evenly coated.
- Grease the muffin tins well, so the sugar doesn’t stick as it cooks.
- Make the glaze as thick or thin as you like by adding extra powdered sugar or milk.
- You’ll end up with 96 pieces of dough. You can either make 11 slightly smaller muffins or 10 larger muffins.
Bake: These bake in a hot oven in just 13 minutes! So much faster than a traditional bundt pan full of monkey bread.
Glaze: Whisk together powdered sugar and milk to make a simple glaze. Drizzle that right over the warm muffins and dig in!
More breakfast recipes!
- Chocolate Glazed Donut
- Air Fryer Donuts
- Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Belgian Waffle Recipe
- Biscuits and Gravy
Monkey Bread Muffins
- 1 can Grand’s Original Biscuits
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 10 muffin wells in a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Open the can of biscuits and separate cut each biscuit into 12 pieces.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon. Toss each biscuit piece in the sugar mixture to coat. Alternately, place the cinnamon and sugar in a zip top bag, add the biscuit pieces, and shake to coat.
- Place 9 pieces of biscuit in each of the 10 muffin wells.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the brown sugar and whisk constantly until it just begins to boil. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the heat and drizzle the caramel mixture evenly over each muffin.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and cooked through.
- Let biscuits cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins from the pan to a cooling rack set over parchment paper.
- Add ¼ cup of powdered sugar to a measuring cup. Stir in the milk until well combined. Drizzle the glaze over each of the muffins.
- Serve immediately.
Leave a Review