These Cake Mix Muffins are incredibly easy to make, with just 5 ingredients needed. They have that amazing bakery style taste, but without the effort. Soft and fluffy on the inside and filled with plenty of chocolate chips, it’s hard to stop at just one!
Nothing makes me feel more accomplished than waking up early so that I have a few extra minutes to bake my family a batch of muffins for breakfast.
It just feels like I’m living in a 1950s sitcom and I’m winning at being a mom when I’m able to make that happen. 😉
Of course, we have loads of muffin recipes around here, since they really are a favorite.
Our mini banana muffins and coffee cake muffins are a couple of my personal favorites, but these cake mix muffins definitely take the cake for how easy they are! (Take the cake…see what I did there?!)
These turn out soft and fluffy with a delicious vanilla flavor and loads of melty chocolate chips throughout.
Table of Contents
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cake Mix – For these cake mix muffins I’m using a white cake mix from the store. Feel free to use any variety of cake mix you like to mix things up!
Other Ingredients – You’ll need a few more standard baking ingredients including milk, oil, and eggs!
Muffin Tin – You’ll need a standard sized 12 hole muffin tin for this recipe!
Paper Liners – While you could just spritz your pan with non-stick spray, we think liners make baking and eating muffins easier.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- You can easily adapt this recipe to use a different flavor of cake mix or a variety of mix-ins!
- Just 5 ingredients, so these are perfect for a busy morning.
- Making muffins from cake mix is an easy way to get breakfast on the table and impress the family!
How To Make Muffins From a Cake Mix:
Prepare – You can get started by preheating your oven to 350 and placing 12 of the paper liners into the 12 hole muffin tin and set it aside for now.
Batter – Add the milk, oil, and eggs to a large mixing bowl and stir them together until well combined. Stir in the cake mix until just combined. Don’t overmix or the batter won’t be as light and fluffy.
Chocolate Chips – You can now start folding all those chocolate chips into the cake mix muffin batter!
- The muffins can be sprinkled with a few extra chocolate chips just before baking to top them off.
- You can also substitute the chocolate chips for fresh, frozen or dried fruit or even sprinkles if you want to change things up!
Bake – These chocolate chip cake mix muffins will take about 20 minutes to bake, or until they are lightly golden on the top and cooked through.
Serve – You’ll need to let these cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely before serving, or serve them while they’re still a little warm!
Muffins are always best eaten on the day they are baked, but they will store well for a few days. Store these muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
These muffins can be frozen! Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature before eating.
I’m using white cake mix for these muffins but if you’ve got yellow or even chocolate cake mix, those will work too!
Blueberry Muffins – Swap the chocolate chips for fresh or frozen blueberries.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins – Use a pumpkin cake mix in place of white cake mix.
Cinnamon Sugar Muffins – Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the muffin tops before baking.
Streusel – Make a quick streusel (from our banana crumb muffins!) to sprinkle over the tops.
Strawberry – Use a strawberry cake mix for gorgeous pink muffins! White chocolate chips would be great mixed in.
Double Chocolate – Chocolate cake mix + chocolate chips!
How to Freeze Muffins:
Allow muffins to cool completely and then arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 1 hour to flash freeze.
Place muffins in a freezer bag, squeeze out the air, and freeze for up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw overnight on the counter or pop them in the microwave to quickly defrost frozen muffins.
Cake Mix Favorites:
We love baking with cake mix!
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES FOR BREAKFAST!
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- English Muffin Bread Recipe
- Bacon & Broccoli Frittata Muffins
- Monkey Bread Muffins
- Blueberry Streusel Muffins
Chocolate Chip Cake Mix Muffins
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 large eggs
- 15 ounces white cake mix
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line muffin tin with paper liners.
- Add the milk, oil and eggs to a large mixing bowl. Stir until well combined. Add the cake mix and mix until just combined (the mixture may still look a little lumpy). Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tins about 2/3 of the way full. Dot the tops with extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until lightly golden and a tester comes out mostly clean.
- Cool the muffins in the tin for 5 minutes, before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.