This ham and bean soup is one of my favorite pressure cooker recipes! This Instant Pot soup tastes like it cooked all day, but it’s ready in less than two hours!
This post contains affiliate links. As a member of Amazon and other affiliate programs I earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you in need of a reason to try out that Instant Pot you’ve been afraid to mess with?
Enter my Instant Pot soup that is just full of beans, ham, and veggies!
This soup is hearty and delicious and I think it’s a great way to test out the magic of the Instant Pot. Taking dried beans to cooked beans in less than two hours is pretty awesome.
What Readers are Saying!
“Excellent flavor. This was the first time I’ve made ham and bean soup and my family loved it. Thanks for sharing this recipe.” – Karahi
The soup tastes like it’s been simmering all day and is just bursting with flavor. But! It’s definitely an easy soup and you can use leftover ham from the holidays or just buy the pre-diced ham.
I’ve also made pressure cooker pinto beans that you should try sometime soon! Beans are such a filling food and they’re great for holidays, get togethers, and cool autumn days.
Anyway, I like using a a variety of beans. In this recipe I’m using a package of Hurst’s HamBeens with 15 different varieties of beans and it’s own ham seasoning packet, and it’s so economical and easy!
How to Make:
Start the Pressure Cooker: Set your pressure cooker to “Saute” and begin adding the carrots, celery, and onion. Once that’s all cooked together we’ll add in the ham. Easy peasy!
Prepare the Beans: While the carrots, celery and onion are cooking you can begin rinsing and sorting the beans. When that is finished, add to the pressure cooker with the chicken stock.
Cook: Set the pressure cooker to “high pressure” and cook for 40 minutes. After it has reached pressure and cooked, allow to vent for about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and stir in the seasoning packet, ham, black pepper and red pepper.
- Soup not thick enough for you? Try adding some corn starch, arrowroot starch, or Xanthum Gum.
More recipes you will enjoy:
This is a great recipe for leftover ham from Christmas or Thanksgiving dinners, or for any time of the year. It seems like whenever we make ham there is a lot left over, and this is the perfect way to utilize it.
Instant Pot Ham and Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 20 ounces Hurst’s Beans 15 Bean Soup 1 bag
- 7 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups cooked diced ham
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Turn pressure cooker to “saute” and add the oil to the pot. Once hot, add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and sort through the beans. Add to the pressure cooker along with the chicken stock. Set the seasoning packet aside for later.
- Turn the pressure cooker off. Put on the lid and set the vent to “sealing.” Set the pressure cooker to “high pressure” for 40 minutes.
- Once the soup has reached pressure and cooked for 40 minutes, allow the pressure to release naturally – about 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid carefully and stir in the seasoning packet, ham, black pepper, red pepper flakes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Stir well and let set for 5 minutes to allow the ham to heat through.
- Serve hot. Sprinkle with fresh parsley as desired.