This LOADED BAKED POTATO SALAD is a great side dish at any potluck or barbecue! It’s hard to go wrong with all the flavors of a baked potato combined in a delicious potato salad.
I think you all know of my never-ending love of bacon and cheese, but just in case: I love bacon and cheese, forever and ever, Amen.
I mean, let’s be real. Who doesn’t?? Vegans. And that’s probably the end of the list.
So, I took potato salad and turned it into this loaded baked potato salad. You guys are going to love all of the flavors going on in here!
Sometimes, though, you have to experiment. Sometimes you have to try new things. Sometimes, just every now and then, you have to add bacon and cheese to your potato salad.
If you love this potato salad recipe, check out this broccoli salad. There’s bacon involved in that one too!
How to make loaded potato salad:
Traditionally, potato salad starts with boiled potatoes, but this is a baked potato salad, so we’re going to pop our potatoes in the oven!
Wash the potatoes well, prick them with a fork, and bake for around an hour or until they’re nice and soft.
Dice ’em up and toss them in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
You’ll need cheddar, bacon, mayonnaise, sour cream, and green onions or chives plus some salt and pepper, to taste.
Stir it all up and pop it in the fridge for a couple of hours so that the flavors can all meld together.
Give this a good stir and an extra sprinkle of cheddar and green onions before serving.
It doesn’t get much easier than that!
What to serve with loaded baked potato salad:
French Dip Sandwich: This one is made in the crockpot and it’s so easy!
Grilled BBQ Chicken: You’ve gotta try this simple barbecue sauce!
Cheeseburger Meatloaf: One of my favorite recipes!
Animal Style Cheeseburger: You seriously have to try these!
Crockpot Ribs: The most tender ribs ever!
Baked Potato Salad
- 1 1/2 pounds baking potatoes
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped chives or green onions
- 1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prick potatoes with a fork. Bake potatoes for 1 hour or until fork tender.
- When cool enough to handle, chop potatoes into bite sized chunks. Place in refrigerator until chilled through, about 1 hour.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Stir in the potatoes, coating each piece with the mayo mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of chives or green onions.
- Return to refrigerator for at least one hour and serve cold.
This post was originally published in May 2010. It has been updated with new photos and text in July 2019.