This ALABAMA WHITE SAUCE is a family favorite! It’s a simple creamy sauce that is perfect over grilled chicken, ribs, or pulled pork. It starts with mayo, instead of tomato sauce, so it’s extra creamy and so flavorful!
Alabama has always been a favorite vacation destination for us. The beaches are beautiful, it’s easy enough to get there, and we have a million and one favorite restaurants near the coast.
One of those restaurants served up barbecue with a twist – instead of your traditional tomato based barbecue sauce, they served a white BBQ sauce, and y’all, I was instantly hooked.
This Alabama White BBQ Sauce recipe is creamy, tangy, and just a bit sweet. It’s really perfect, you guys.
Mayonnaise – Most BBQ sauces are tomato based, but this Alabama white BBQ sauce uses a mayo base!
Buttermilk – This will help thin out the sauce a bit and it also adds some flavor.
Vinegar – You can use either white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in this white BBQ sauce recipe!
Mustard – I like to use yellow mustard in this white sauce recipe, but spicy brown mustard would work too.
Seasonings – Just a simple mix of salt, pepper, sugar, and garlic salt! Use some brown sugar for extra flavor.
What We Love About This Recipe!
This Alabama white sauce is a perfect way to change things up! We love tomato based sauces too, but sometimes we’re in the mood for something different and that’s exactly what this white BBQ sauce has to offer! It’s creamy and flavorful and will work just as well on any meat as regular BBQ sauce.
How to Make Alabama White Sauce:
Add mayo, buttermilk, vinegar, mustard, garlic salt, pepper, and sugar to a mason jar.
Shake, shake, shake until the sauce is smooth and creamy. Alternately, stir together with a fork.
Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using. The longer the sauce sits, the more the flavors develop.
Tomato based BBQ sauce recipes are made in many ways with lots of different ingredients. The same can be true for mayo based white BBQ sauce! Here are some suggestions for changing it up:
- Make a spicy white BBQ sauce by using spicy brown mustard, or add some spicy horseradish to the mix. Cayenne pepper or some hot sauce will also work well to spice it up!
- A little bit of lemon juice will brighten the sauce up and add some more flavor.
- Some Worcestershire sauce will add a more savory flavor to this white sauce.
This sauce will keep well for at least a week in the refrigerator if you store it in a sealed mason jar.
It’s a BBQ sauce that starts with mayonnaise instead of tomatoes. It uses some similar ingredients like vinegar and sugar but the mayo base and the buttermilk gives it a creamy taste!
More Favorite Sauces:
- Korean BBQ Sauce
- Egg Roll Dipping Sauce
- Tartar Sauce
- Avocado Dressing
- Fry Sauce
- Keto Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Honey Mustard
Alabama White Sauce
For the white sauce:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- To prepare the white sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl or mason jar. Stir to combine and taste. Add additional vinegar, salt, or sugar depending on your preferences.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before using.
- Store tightly covered in the fridge for up to 1 week.