This CROCKPOT CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP is a perfect recipe for your slow cooker. It cooks effortlessly and hands off for 5 hours. This makes the meat tender, and keeps the rice soft and full of all the soup’s flavors!
Whether it’s cold out or you just had a rough day and need something cozy to make you feel better, this crockpot chicken and rice soup is the perfect bowl of comfort food
Tender chicken, fresh veggies, rice, and a little pop of lemon juice to bright the whole dish up.
When we’re feeling under the weather or it’s the dead of winter and we just can’t get warm, this cozy crockpot soup is a go to, along with a pile of my dad’s homemade biscuits.
Heading to the store or making an online order? This is what you will need!
- Large carrots
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Chicken stock (you will need 6 cups so it is best to make this yourself)
- Frozen peas
- White rice
- Lemon juice
- Fresh parsley
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Chicken and Rice Soup in a Slow Cooker:
Sauté: Cook the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic in butter. If you have one of the newer slow cookers with multiple functions, you may be able to do this right in your slow cooker. Otherwise, cook this on the stove top and then transfer the veggies to the crockpot.
Combine: Add the chicken, stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker and cook on low.
Shred: After 4 hours the chicken should be nice and tender. Remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with a couple of forks. Althernately, put the chicken in a mixing bowl and use a hand mixer to shred the chicken in about 5 seconds. So quick and easy!
Cook: Add the chicken back to the soup along with the rice. Cook this covered for another hour.
Finish it up: When the rice is tender, give the dish a good stir and add more chicken stock if you want a soupier consistency. Stir in the frozen peas (the hot soup will heat them up perfectly, no need to cook them) and the fresh parsley. Squeeze in the lemon juice and serve!
- All slow cookers cook differently. Check the rice about halfway through cooking to avoid overcooking it.
- The lemon juice adds a little pop of freshness to the soup, but you may omit it if preferred.
- Add in any veggies you like to bulk up the nutrition. Frozen green beans or diced broccoli could go in with the rice.
Make It a Meal!
Pair this with…
More chicken soup recipes from Buns In My Oven:
- Instant pot chicken noodle soup
- Lemon chicken orzo soup
- Chicken gnocchi soup
- Chicken taco soup
- Slow cooker chicken tortilla soup
Crockpot Chicken and Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large carrots diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken stock plus more as needed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup white rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onion and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Transfer the vegetables to a 6 quart slow cooker.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return to the slow cooker along with the rice.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
- Stir well to combine and add additional stock, if desired. Stir in the peas, parsley, and lemon juice. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if desired.