Sausage tortellini soup made with spicy Italian sausage, fresh veggies, and loads of cheese tortellini. This hearty soup recipe is ready in about 30 minutes!
I’ve been on the biggest soup kick over the last year or so.
Thankfully, I think I’ve finally convinced my husband that soup is a hearty and filling meal. It only took 18 years of marriage to do so. 😉
This soup is pretty perfect for a cold day, but we honestly eat it all year round. Those cheese tortellini can’t be forgotten about in the summer months. They deserve to be enjoyed all year. Haha!
My husband is a big fan of any dish that includes sausage, so this tortellini soup is packed with Italian sausage. We use the spicy variety, but the mild sausage works fine too.
How to make cheese tortellini soup:
Start by browning up your Italian sausage in a dutch oven or other heavy bottomed deep pot. You can use either mild or hot Italian sausage. We definitely prefer the spicy version!
Add in some onions, carrots, and garlic and cook for a few minutes to let the veggies start softening up.
Add in your can of diced tomatoes, beef broth, and tomato sauce. Let the soup simmer for 20 minutes.
Add in some frozen cheese tortellini and let simmer until the tortellini is cooked through.
Easy peasy, right? This soup is ready so quickly and it’s so filling and delicious!
Is tortellini soup healthy?
If you’d like to make this soup a bit healthier and lighter, try using chicken sausage in place of pork sausage! Increase the vegetables a bit to bulk it up and enjoy!
What to serve with sausage tortellini soup:
This soup is a meal all on it’s own, thanks to the hearty sausage, veggies, and pasta. Round out your meal with a side salad and some Irish soda bread.
More soup recipes to try:
Cabbage Roll Soup: All of the flavor of cabbage rolls, minus all the rolling. So easy!
Crockpot Potato Soup: A classic favorite in my house!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings: So thick and comforting!
Cheeseburger Soup: Low carb, family friendly, seriously good.
Leftover Turkey Soup: You can use chicken if you don’t have turkey laying around.
Sausage Tortellini Soup
- ¾ pound spicy Italian sausage
- ½ large onion chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- Heat a dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sausage and begin to brown, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When sausage is about halfway cooked, add the onion, carrots, and garlic to the pot. Continue cooking and stirring until sausage is cooked through. Drain the fat if needed.
- Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt to the pot and stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the tortellini to the pot and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the pasta is cooked to your liking.
- Stir in the parsley just before serving.