This TACO SPAGHETTI RECIPE is full of cheesy taco flavor with lots of ground beef, tomatoes, and cheese that the whole family will devour. Be sure to make enough for leftovers, because you’ll be fighting over them!
Its only within the last few years that I’ve really become a major pasta lover. I could probably eat pasta once a day and not get tired of it.
The problem is that I could also eat tacos every day and not get tired of them.
What’s a girl to do? Why, marry the two, of course!
Enter this Taco Spaghetti Bake.
I don’t want to oversell this, but when I tell you that this is my new go to casserole to serve up at dinner, I’m not lying. The whole family just loves it and we all fight for the leftovers.
It’s just so creamy and flavorful, loaded with seasoned beef, really rich and satisfying, and it’s got the best of both the pasta and the taco world going on in one dinner!
We basically took our favorite Rotel Dip, tossed it with pasta, and baked it. You seriously can’t go wrong with that combo!
My family fought over the leftovers on this one, so we’ve taken to doubling the recipe. We could happily eat this all week long!
Ingredients for Taco Spaghetti Bake:
Spaghetti – Any shape of pasta would work, but we love spaghetti!
Taco Seasoning – Store bought is fine, but this homemade taco seasoning is even better.
Cream of Chicken Soup – Use the can or use my substitute for cream of chicken soup.
Ro*Tel – This is a can of diced tomatoes and green chiles. We use the original version, but it also comes in mild and spicy.
Velveeta – I don’t use Velveeta often, but in my opinion, it’s a must for this recipe. It makes a super decadent cheesy dish that’s thick and creamy.
Cheddar – This is for sprinkling over the top of the casserole. Use any shredded cheese you prefer.
Cilantro – Skip this if you hate the stuff. We love the fresh flavor and color it adds.
What We Love About This Recipe
This casserole is extra rich, creamy, and decadent while packing in all of those Mexican flavors our family loves. This is easy to prepare, with simple ingredients. We love how cheesy this is with just a bit of spice.
How to Make:
Pasta: To start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Be sure to salt your water – it should be salty like the sea! Drop in a pound of spaghetti and cook for one minute less than the package instructions call for.
While the pasta is cooking, start on Step 2 with the ground beef. When the pasta is finished drain and set aside until it is ready to be mixed.
Beef: While the pasta cooks, add the pound of ground beef to a skillet and cook over medium heat until the meat has browned. Drain the grease from the skillet and add the taco seasoning to the meat.
Stir to coat the meat in the seasoning and then add the water, cream of chicken soup, tomatoes, and the chunks of Velveeta. Stir well to combine while the cheese melts until you have a smooth cheese sauce with tomatoes and ground beef.
This will be thick and creamy and, honestly, kind of irresistible.
Bake: When the cheese sauce is ready, pour over the pasta in a large mixing bowl and stir until the pasta and sauce are well combined. You can add a bit of pasta water to the mixture if you’d like to thin it out, but we love how thick and cheesy this is.
Next pour the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish that has been greased with non-stick spray.
Top the mixture with some shredded cheddar cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly. Finally you can sprinkle some cilantro on the top and serve!
VARIATIONS & ADDITIONS:
- Ground turkey or chicken can be used in place of the ground beef.
- Try topping it off with a Mexican cheese blend instead of cheddar, or use both!
- Some possible additions include chopped onion, mushroom, and black beans.
- Top your spaghetti with my homemade guacamole and a spoonful of our restaurant style salsa.
Okay, this is taco spaghetti, but have you heard of spaghetti tacos? You just stuff your spaghetti into crunchy taco shells. Go ahead and do that with the taco spaghetti and holy moly…delicious!
More mexican inspired recipe!
Cheesy Taco Spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray. Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook spaghetti for 1 minute less than the package states. Reserve 1/4 cup of the pasta water before draining.
- While the spaghetti is cooking, add the ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat and crumble the meat as it cooks.
- Drain the grease and season with the taco seasoning. Add 1/4 cup of water (as called for on the taco seasoning), the cream of chicken and tomatoes. Stir well to combine.
- Add the Velveeta and continue cooking over low heat until the cheese has melted. Stir in 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to thin the sauce.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the spaghetti and add to the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the shredded cheddar.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with cilantro before serving.