This CHEESY CHICKEN BROCCOLI CASSEROLE is total comfort food and my whole family loves it. The casserole starts off with broccoli and chicken and gets mixed with an easy, creamy cheese sauce, and then it’s all topped off with stuffing. I could eat this one at least once a week!
Okay, I’m going to admit something to all of you and I’m probably going to get a lot of weird looks.
Here goes…One of my all time favorite breakfast foods (yes, breakfast) is Stove Top Stuffing, cooked in the microwave with a slice of orange American cheese, and a drizzle of Frank’s hot sauce.
I started eating that for breakfast in high school and my parents were appalled.
It’s weird and not exactly health food, but I would happily eat that for breakfast every day of my life. I don’t, mostly because my husband gives me a major look of disgust when he sees it happening, but whatever.
This cheesy chicken broccoli casserole satisfies my urge for cheesy stove top stuffing and it adds in broccoli (nutrients!) and chicken (protein!), so now it’s suddenly perfectly acceptable food. 😉
Tell me what weird food combos you love!
How to make this chicken broccoli cheese casserole:
I like to use fresh broccoli when I’m cooking, because my family actually LIKES broccoli when it’s been cooked from fresh. They all turn their noses up at the frozen stuff and, honestly, can you blame them? Frozen broccoli just green mush.
That said, I know that grocery shopping can be a challenge at the moment so you can definitely use frozen broccoli in this recipe. I’ll include notes down in the recipe card for how to use frozen broccoli.
Steam the broccoli, stir in some cooked chicken, and then add in all the cheesy goodness.
The cheese sauce is extra creamy and it’s made with cream of chicken soup (use my cream of chicken soup substitute, if you want!), sour cream, and shredded cheddar.
Once everything is stirred together, spread the mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and whip up the Stove Top.
The stuffing just gets spooned right over the top of the casserole.
Cover with foil and bake.
That’s it!! This chicken and broccoli casserole is quick, easy, and even the kids love it thanks to that creamy cheese sauce!
More casserole recipes:
Tater Tot Casserole: Packed with ground beef, canned veggies, and tots!
Low Carb Chicken Casserole: Cauliflower, broccoli, and chicken!
Jiffy Corn Casserole: A holiday favorite!
Chicken Noodle Casserole: Pure comfort food.
Keto Breakfast Casserole: Packed with bacon and sausage!
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 ½ cups cooked, chopped chicken
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces Stove Top Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the broccoli to a large microwave safe bowl along with ¼ cup of water. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave for 5 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove the plastic wrap and drain the liquid.
- Add the chicken, cheddar, cream of chicken soup, sour cream, salt, and pepper to the bowl with the broccoli and stir well to combine.
- Pour broccoli mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Add 3 cups of water and the butter to a large sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the stuffing mix, cover, and remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff stuffing with a fork and then spoon the stuffing over the casserole.
- Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Carefully remove the foil and continue baking for 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.