These Cheerio bars make for an easy no-bake dessert that are packed full of marshmallow, chocolate chips, and your favorite candies!
Baking is definitely a passion of mine and you’ll find me in the kitchen, covered in flour, and pulling a pan of our peanut butter oatmeal chocolate chip cookies out of the oven or drizzling caramel sauce over our Better than Sex Cake or whipping up some new concoction multiple times a week.
But then there are days when I just want to make something sweet without turning on the oven and that’s when our no bake treats come into play – we have lots of recipes for these!
These Cheerio Bars are a fun twist on the classic Rice Krispies Treat – made with melty marshmallow just like the classic, but featuring Cheerios cereal and a fun topping made of m&m’s, chocolate chips, and melted white chocolate!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheerios – We like to use Honey Nut Cheerios for this recipe, but any flavor will work! These would be great with chocolate peanut butter Cheerios too!
Mini Marshmallows – We prefer mini marshmallows, because they melt faster, but full size also work.
Chocolate – You’ll need some chocolate chips as well as some white melting wafers.
Candies – We went with the classic m&m, but feel free to experiment!
What We Love About This Recipe!
This is one of those super easy dessert recipes that don’t require any baking. The kids can help or even make it themselves with just a little microwaving. It’s also easy to modify by using different flavors of Cheerios and mixing in different types of candy!
How to Make:
Melt: Add the marshmallows and butter to a microwave safe bowl and melt. Stir in the Cheerios.
Assemble: Press the cereal mixture into a buttered 9×13.
Top: Sprinkle chocolate chips and m&m’s over the top.
Drizzle: Melt the candy melts in the microwave and drizzle over the bars.
- Grease your hands with some butter or oil before pressing the Cheerio mixture into the pan to help keep it from sticking to you. Alternately, grease a piece of parchment paper and use that to press the bars in place.
- The candies will stick to the bars easier if the marshmallow and Cheerio mixture is still warm.
- Use a 9×9 pan for thicker bars. You’ll need less topping as there will be less surface area.
Absolutely! Melt the butter and marshmallows in a large pot on the stove over low heat until just melted. Remove from the heat and proceed with the recipe as directed.
You can store these bars in a ziplock bag at room temperature for 3-4 days, or frozen for up to 3 months!
Yes, as long as you use marshmallow made from corn starch. Cheerio’s are made with whole grain oats which are gluten free. And of course you’d want to check whatever candy you are mixing in for gluten.
MORE BAR DESSERT RECIPES!
- Nutella Brownies
- Oreo Rice Krispies Treats
- Keto Snickerdoodle Cheesecake Bars
- Gooey Chocolate Caramel Bars
- M&M Brownies
- 5 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- 10 ounces mini marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&M candies
- 1/2 cup white chocolate melting wafers
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the marshmallows and butter. Place in the microwave and melt for 2 minutes. Stir till smooth. Microwave for 1 more minute to melt, if needed.
- When the marshmallows are melted and smooth, add the cheerios and stir to coat.
- Pour cereal into prepared baking dish. Using buttered hands or a greased piece of parchment paper, press bars into the pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips and candy over the top of the warm cereal bars.
- Melt the candy wafers in a small bowl in the microwave in 20 second bursts until melted, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Drizzle melted white chocolate over the bars.
- Let cool for 1 hour before slicing and serving.
Leave a Review