These Big Mac Sloppy Joes are a fun twist on the classic sandwich! Seasoned beef, special sauce, cheese, pickles, and onion all make these sandwiches so tasty and fun for a family dinner.
I’m not even going to try to pretend that I don’t love hitting up the drive-thru for a saucy, messy Big Mac every now and then.
But, the best part is the Mac sauce and I have to tell ya – I’ve got a homemade version that I think is even better. It hits all the right notes – a little sweet, a little tangy, studded with pickles, begging to be drizzled over burgers or to be used as a dip for fries.
We make these Big Mac Sloppy Joes quite a bit around here. Served with these air fryer frozen french fries (get the thin cut fast food style ones for the best results!), this blows the drive-thru outta the water!
Not feeling all the carbs? Try our Big Mac Salad! It has all the same flavors, but without the bun!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the meat mixture:
Ground Beef – We prefer a lean beef, but if you use a fattier blend just drain off the grease.
Garlic & Onion – Some minced garlic and diced onion will get cooked with the beef to add some extra flavor.
Worcestershire Sauce – This adds a nice depth of flavor to the beef.
Salt & Pepper – Just some simple salt and pepper for seasoning the ground beef.
For the Big Mac sauce:
Mayonnaise – Be sure to use real mayo and not Miracle Whip. We like Kraft, but Hellman’s or Dukes will also work well.
Ketchup – I’m a Heinz girl, but use whatever brand you like.
Dill Relish – If you don’t have relish, just finely chop up some dill pickles.
Vinegar – White distilled vinegar will add tang.
Seasoning – Just some onion powder and smoked paprika!
For the sandwiches:
Buns – Grab a pack of sesame seed buns. We only use a top and bottom bun for our sandwiches, but if you want that middle bun like at McDonald’s be sure to grab extra!
Lettuce – Shredded iceberg is the way to go.
American Cheese –Just like you’d get on a regular Big Mac!
Dill Pickle Chips – Also for topping!
What We Love About This Recipe:
- We love Sloppy Joes and we love Big Macs, so why not combine the two? It’s a perfect mix!
- The homemade Big Mac sauce can be used on other sandwiches or as a dip.
How to Make Big Mac Sloppy Joes:
Beef: To get started heat up a skillet over medium heat and add the ground beef along with the diced onion and minced garlic. Cook while stirring often to break the ground beef up.
Season: Season the beef mixture with salt, pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat.
Big Mac Sauce: Add the mayo, ketchup, relish, vinegar, onion powder, and paprika to a bowl and whisk it together to form the sauce.
Combine: Pour a half cup of the sauce over the meat mixture and stir it all up to combine.
Assemble: Top the bottom half of each bun with a quarter cup of the shredded lettuce, and then top that with a slice of the American cheese. Spoon the meat over the top and drizzle on some more sauce. Top with pickles and finish it off with the bun.
A traditional Big Mac sandwich uses three buns. To make that happen at home, use two bottom pieces of buns and one top piece. Layer the sandwich with bottom bun, sauce, lettuce, cheese, meat, bottom bun, sauce, lettuce, cheese, meat, pickles, and finish with the top bun.
What to Serve with Big Mac Sloppy Joes:
This is a great recipe that’ll pair well with just about anything. You can keep it classic and serve these with some french fries, or try it with a side salad. Here are some other suggestions:
- Onion Strings
- Ranch Roasted Potatoes
- Instant Pot Potato Salad
- Keto Fried Zucchini
- Crispy Battered French Fries
- Cowboy Beans
You can leave any of the leftover Sloppy Joe meat mixture in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few days. Reheat in the microwave and assemble the sandwiches when ready to serve.
Any leftover sauce can also be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
MORE COPYCAT RECIPES!
- Copycat Chick-Fil-A Sauce
- Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Chick-Fil-A Nuggets
- Restaurant Style Salsa
- Raspberry Lemonade
Big Mac Sloppy Joes
For the meat mixture:
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
For the Mac sauce:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup dill relish
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
For the sandwiches:
- 6 sesame seed buns see notes
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices American cheese
- 12 dill pickle chips
To make the meat mixture:
- Add the ground beef, onion, and garlic to a skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring often to break up the meat, until meat has cooked through. Drain any excess grease from the skillet.
- Season the mixture with Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper. Remove from the heat.
To make the Mac sauce:
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl and stir well to combine.
To make the sandwiches:
- Stir 1/2 cup of Mac sauce into the meat mixture to combine.
- Place ¼ cup of shredded lettuce on the bottom half of each bun. Top with a slice of cheese.
- Spoon the meat mixture over the top of the cheese.
- Drizzle a spoonful of Mac sauce over the meat on each sandwich, to taste.
- Top each sandwich with 3 pickles and the top bun.
- Serve hot.
Leave a Review