This Instant Pot Potato Salad cooks the potatoes and eggs together in the pressure cooker at the same time. Cooks in just 4 minutes and then tossed in a creamy mayo dressing.
I love love love cold potato and pasta salads during the summer months.
The truth is, though, that I often overcook the potatoes and things get a little mushy. Hate when that happens, but we’ve cracked the code and it’s NEVER an issue anymore.
We use the Instant Pot to cook the potatoes perfectly right along with the boiled eggs! Seriously genius and pretty much foolproof!
The dressing is the same as my grandma used to use, although she’d sometimes skip the dill pickles in favor of thinly sliced celery. I’m all about the pickles though and would never choose celery over a pickle!
This Instant Pot Potato Salad is perfect as it is, but feel free to use your own personal favorite dressing and just follow this method for cooking the potatoes and eggs. Or give my Deviled Egg Potato Salad or Amish Potato Salad a try using this method!
Can’t wait for you to see how easy it is to make potato salad in the Instant Pot!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Russet Potatoes – You’ll steam the diced potatoes in the Instant Pot, which of course takes no time at all! We prefer russet potatoes for this but you could use other varieties like gold or red skinned.
Eggs – We add 3 eggs to the Instant Pot with the potatoes. You can add more or less, depending on your tastes.
Dressing – This creamy dressing is made with mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. Just like Grandma made!
Dill Pickles – I like the flavor that the dill pickles add but you could also use sweet pickles or even thinly sliced celery instead.
Onion – Some chopped onion will add a little more flavor and crunch to the salad.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- The potatoes and eggs cook together in just 4 minutes!
- No keeping a close eye on a pot of boiling water waiting for the potatoes to hit the right texture. Just set it and forget it with the IP!
- The texture of the potatoes is just perfect – firm, but still tender.
I absolutely love my Instant Pot! It’s great for recipes like this potato salad (easy boiled eggs!), to cook perfect rice, cook chicken to shred (the best!), and so much more.
How to Make Potato Salad:
Prep: Peel and dice the potatoes into bite-sized chunks. Place a steamer basket in the Instant Pot and add the potatoes. Lay a few eggs right over the top and pour in a cup of water.
Pressure Cook: The Instant Pot will do all the work, cooking both the potatoes and the eggs at the same time. Place the lid on the pot, set it to sealing, then cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release and open when the valve has dropped.
Chill: Remove the steamer basket carefully and place the steamed potatoes into a large bowl, then place the hard boiled eggs into an ice bath to cool for 15 minutes.
Peel: When the eggs have chilled you can peel off the shells and then start chopping the egg into small pieces. You’ll also want to chop up some onion, and the dill pickles. Add all of those to the bowl with the potatoes!
Dressing: This is a flavorful but simple homemade dressing that you can mix up in no time. Just add some mayo, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar to a small bowl and whisk until well combined. Pour it over the salad!
Chill & Serve: After pouring on the dressing stir it all together until well combined and then cover the bowl and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours. It needs time to chill and for the dressing to soak up into the potatoes!
You can add more mayo, salt, and pepper as needed before serving. This cold summer salad would go pretty well with some smoked baby back ribs at your next BBQ! And if the weather keeps you in you can air fry BBQ chicken!
Mix It Up!
Feel free to change up the dressing to whatever suits your taste. Miracle Whip, sweet pickles, and celery are all popular potato salad ingredients!
Keep it covered in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, or up to a few months if freezing.
Any brand works in this potato salad! If you like Miracle Whip, you should check out my Amish Potato Salad recipe! The dressing in it is a bit sweeter.
That’s sad, but you’re still in luck. Check out my Mexican Potato Salad recipe which contains no mayo!
MORE COLD SALAD RECIPES!
- Cornbread Salad
- Vegetable Salad
- German Cucumber Salad
- Amish Macaroni Salad
- Keto Chicken Salad
- Snicker Apple Salad
Instant Pot Potato Salad
- 3 pounds Russet potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ¼ cups mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white distilled vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup chopped dill pickles see note
- ½ cup chopped onion
- Peel, rinse, and dice the potatoes into bite-sized cubes.
- Add the steamer basket to the pressure cooker and pour in the water. Add the potatoes to the basket. Place the eggs on top of the potatoes.
- Place the lid on the pot, set to sealing, and pressure cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure and open the lid once the valve has dropped.
- Carefully remove the steamer basket from the pot and place the potatoes into a large bowl. Place the eggs into an ice bath to cool. Let potatoes and eggs cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the mayonnaise, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and sugar to a small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Peel and chop the eggs and add to the potatoes, along with the pickles and onion.
- Pour the dressing over the top and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Before serving stir and add additional mayonnaise, salt, or pepper, if needed.