This layered Cornbread Salad is a Southern staple made with a wild mix of ingredients, including cornbread, pinto beans, and bacon all layered with cheddar and a green chile ranch dressing! Perfect for potlucks and summer barbecues!
I’m not going to lie – this recipe is not my creation. I came across it in a Taste of Home magazine, stopped flipping pages to gaze confusedly at the list of ingredients, and then could not get this weirdo salad out of my head until I made it.
Honestly, as I was throwing ingredients together – cornbread (use my sweet cornbread!) , pinto beans, cheddar, bacon, ranch seasoning, mayo, green chiles, peppers – I felt like maybe I was having a fever dream.
What is the weird mess of a salad and why am I so intrigued by it?
Well, turns out it’s a Southern classic and somehow, in ways I’ll never understand, it just works.
I knew I had to share it with you guys after I took it to a family dinner and everyone hesitantly tried a scoop, came back for seconds, and sent me home with an empty dish.
It’s weird, there’s no denying that, but it’s also undoubtedly good.
Table of Contents
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cornbread – My sweet cornbread recipe is perfect in this recipe. Alternatively, bake up a box of Jiffy mix or buy a package of pre-made cornbread from your local grocery store bakery. You’ll need an 8×8 or 9×9 pan’s worth of cornbread.
Mix-Ins – We’re loading this cornbread salad recipe with pinto beans (canned is easiest), corn (also canned!), bacon (try our air fryer bacon), cheddar, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, and green onions! It makes for a hearty salad.
Dressing – This simple dressing is just ranch mix, green chiles, mayo, and sour cream.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- Watching people be confused about the mix of ingredients and then dig in with gusto after their first taste is just plain fun.
- While this is a lot of ingredients, the prep goes fast if you start with leftover or store bought cornbread.
- This recipe is perfect for potlucks and really feeds a crowd!
Homemade Ranch Seasoning!
Don’t want to use a packet of ranch seasoning?
Mix together 1 1/2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1 teaspoon dried chives, 1 teaspoon dried dill, and 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper.
Use this as a replacement for the packet of ranch.
How to Make Cornbread Salad:
Cornbread: Bake, cool, and crumble or chop up your cornbread. Place half of it in a 9×13 baking dish.
Dressing: Whisk together the mayo, sour cream, green chiles, and ranch seasoning. Drizzle half of that dressing over the cornbread.
Layer: Spoon half of the beans, corn, tomatoes, peppers, green onions, bacon, and cheese over the dressing.
No bacon? No problem! We love the flavor, but leave it out to make this a vegetarian cornbread salas!
Repeat: Repeat your layers and then cover the dish and pop it in the fridge for 2 hours to chill.
This cornbread salad recipe is perfect for summer cookouts!
Bring it to any potluck and watch it disappear! This salad feeds a crowd.
You can keep this in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 3 to 4 days, but the cornbread will become somewhat mushy. It’s best served on day one!
MORE COLD SALAD RECIPES!
- Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Taco Pasta Salad
- Big Mac Salad
- Tortellini Pasta Salad
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Classic Macaroni Salad
- Vegetable Salad
- 1 recipe cornbread see notes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces canned chopped green chiles
- 1 packet ranch seasoning mix
- 2 15 ounce cans pinto beans rinsed and drained
- 2 15 ounce cans whole kernel corn drained
- 3 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper chopped, any color
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Crumble the cornbread into small pieces. Place half of the cornbread into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, green chiles, and ranch seasoning to combine.
- Drop half of the dressing over the cornbread in small spoonfuls.
- Top with half of the beans, corn, tomatoes, pepper, onions, bacon, and cheddar.
- Repeat the layers.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.