These 4TH OF JULY COOKIES start with my perfect cookie dough base and get a little festive with the addition of red, white, and blue candy! These soft cookies are a total hit and they’re ready from start to finish in about 20 minutes – no softening the butter or chilling the dough! Just bake and devour!
It’s hard to believe that I’m already sharing a recipe for the 4th of July festivities, but here we are. Mid-summer. Already.
I know there is nothing more boring than listen to someone go on and on about how quickly time flies, but my word. The older I get… 😉
Anyway, I am here with some festive 4th of July cookies and I think you’re going to love them!
Like all good cookies (in my opinion), these are soft and thick. Nice, big, bakery-style cookies. You seriously can’t go wrong with these.
My kiddos call these fireworks cookies, which I think is a super cute name for them, but you can call them whatever you like.
How to make Fireworks cookies:
Whip up some cookie dough. We’re using the same dough we use for my perfect chocolate chip cookies. It’s easy and quick, but more importantly, the cookies bake up into thick, chewy cookies that you won’t be able to resist.
You’ll start with melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Stir that together and then add in your egg and vanilla.
Once all that is combined, stir in your dry ingredients until you have a nice soft dough.
This dough is really easy to work with and you can do all this by hand. My cookie dough is a bit softer than most.
Stir in your festive m&m candies. You could also use sprinkles for a fun effect – I bet these would be amazing! (affiliate)
I used a large cookie scoop to make big bakery-style cookies. Here is the scoop I use. (affiliate) I love it – it’s lasted for years (and I make a lot of cookies!) and it makes a nice sized cookie that bakes evenly.
Bake these cookies for 11 minutes exactly to ensure that the outside is set and the insides are nice and soft.
Be sure to let these cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before digging in. They’ll fall apart if you touch them any sooner than that.
These big cookies keep really well for around 5 days in your cookie jar…if you don’t eat them all first. 😉
Try these 4th of July Rice Krispies Treats or this gorgeous flag cake to serve alongside these cookies. What a fun dessert table you’ll have!
More cookie recipes to try:
Butter Cookies: Cut them into stars and decorate with red, white, and blue!
Lemon Cookies: Sweet and tart!
Chocolate Peanut Butter No Bake Cookies: Add some red, white, and blue sprinkles!
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies: Impossible to resist!
4th of July Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup red, white, and blue m&m candies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add butter to a microwave dish and microwave in 20 second increments until butter is fully melted.
- Add the brown sugar and white sugar to a large mixing bowl with the melted butter and stir well to combine.
- Beat in the vanilla and egg until just combined.
- Pour in the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until just combined.
- Stir in the candy, reserving a few to press onto the tops of the cookie dough, if desired.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out 12 cookies and arrange them evenly on a large ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes exactly. Cookies will still be slightly underdone when you remove them from the oven. Do not overbake.
- Let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before eating. Allow cookies to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
Tips & Notes:
Leave a Review