Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

This homemade spaghetti sauce is quite simple to make! You’ll never wonder how to make spaghetti sauce again with this pasta sauce recipe!

So, sometimes I do this thing where I make my life more difficult than it has to be.

Like, I make bread from scratch sometimes.

Or, I make my own cheese. <—- Yep. I did that.

Often, I make my own donuts instead of just buying them from the donut shop like most people do.

But this spaghetti sauce making habit of mine? It’s so crazy.

I mean, it’s DELICIOUS and one hundred and three times more flavorful than the jarred kind at the store. That’s a mathematically correct fact. I did the research. It took hours.

Anyway, the thing with this spaghetti sauce recipe is that it costs a bit more than a jar of sauce from the store and you need to let it simmer on the stove for hours and hours. That said, it’s so super worth it.

Besides, having a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering away for hours not only makes you feel all domesticated, it makes the house smell divine.

Give this a try the next time you’re having a spaghetti dinner. You won’t regret it! It also works great in lasagna or any other pasta recipe!

PrintPrint Recipe

Homemade italian Spaghetti Sauce

This sauce is full of Italian flavors! It will make enough to coat 2 pounds of spaghetti, but I usually just use it for one pound of spaghetti and then we dip bread in the leftovers. It keeps well in the fridge for one week.

1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound pork sausage (substitute with all beef, if desired)
1/2 onion, finely diced
6 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes (I prefer Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes)
6 ounces tomato paste (I omit this, because my husband doesn't like when I add it, but if you want a really tomato-y sauce, try it!)
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon sugar, if desired
salt and pepper, to taste (I prefer it pretty salty)

In a large pot over medium heat, cook the ground beef and pork until no longer pink. Do not drain.
Add the onion and garlic to the pot with the meat and cook over low heat until the onions are soft and the garlic is fragrant.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 2-4 hours.

68 Responses to “Homemade Spaghetti Sauce”

1. Rose September 20, 2014 @ 1:25 pm (#

Makes it even more work for the cook but I use fresh tomatoes this time of year and the sauce is even more tasty. Try it — you’ll like it.

• Karly replied: — September 21st, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

I bet that’s delicious!

2. A.J. December 15, 2014 @ 4:09 pm (#

should you strain the water out of the cans before adding the tomatoes?

• Karly replied: — December 15th, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

You can if you want a thicker sauce, but you don’t need to. I don’t drain them. :)

3. Sabrina February 4, 2015 @ 2:03 pm (#

You said not to drain the meat, do you use lean ground beef? What if there’s a lot of grease?

• Karly replied: — February 4th, 2015 @ 9:37 pm

I like the flavor that the fat adds to the sauce. You can drain it if you like, though. I usually buy 80/20 beef.

4. Combat enantbolic March 18, 2015 @ 9:12 am (#

Focuses on the selling of anabolic usefulness of anabolic steroids.:
    these figures an easy to use inexperienced bike of which will lend plenty of better volume in case you have for
    no reason cycled prior to. Warnings About inexperienced pass Testosterone enanthate has the
    unparalleled chance of enhancement the purely natural growth of male growth hormone to a tremendous altitude.
    Additionally, this anabolic steroid (with the multitude of testosterone) is additionally great for campaign the best imaginable
    weight loss and thrilling fast recovery after unnecessary activity
    and exercise exercise sessions. Hundreds customers source Testosterone
    propionate a somewhat effective service. steroid for making multitude and are able to
    make anyone to right away alter Low levels of androgenic
    hormone or testosterone can bring about lesser sexual urge, impotence , sterility outcome diminished semen creation, lessened
    psychological and training, weariness and weakening of limbs ( poor bone health ).
    Androgenic hormone or testosterone is provided with as alternative treatment plan in case drug free
    libido levels fit very humble, producing difficulty such as those previous.
    Testosterone supplement helps fresh the male growth hormone degree to return to healthy, so minimizing signs coming from lack.

5. Toby L Fox March 31, 2015 @ 4:02 pm (#

I have made a lot of spaghetti but this looks so good. I just printed the recipe because I’m going to try this one. I noticed you didn’t use a Lot of spices but what kind of Italian seasoning did you use? Thanks,
    Mrs Toby Fox

6. Anonymous September 20, 2015 @ 10:30 pm (#

??????????????????????iphone3GS ???????????????????????????????????????|????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

1. Pingback: Irresistible Gnocchi Casserole | Cosmos Posting