Guacamole

Every now and then I get a big ol’ craving for Mexican food. This only happens about once every, oh, day or two. I can’t help it. I love Mexican food. In fact, I sometimes regret not marrying an old Mexican grandma. I’m sure her cooking would have been divine. I guess my husband and his lackluster cooking abilities will have to do though.

He’s cute. I like him. Even if he does roll his eyes and say “Mexican food again?” At least he lets me pose him (sit here, turn your head this way, smile, no, not a fake smile, a real smile!) so that the internet can see how cute he is.

That’s enough talk about boys. This is a food blog.

Something that I must have to go along side my tacos, enchiladas, and burritos is this delicious, nutritious (Well, kind of. Maybe.), completely addicting guacamole. Trust me when I say that this guacamole will change your little Mexican food loving life.

The best part is, if you live with onion haters, you can easily substitute onion powder for the chopped onions and you don’t sacrifice any flavor. I like the crunch the onion adds to this, but the flavor doesn’t suffer a bit if you leave them out. And, yeah, that boy up there is the onion hater in my life. It’s a good thing he’s cute.

Guacamole

• 4 ripe Haas avocados
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • 1/4 cup finely diced onion (I use a red onion, but any will work) (or sub onion powder)
  • 1 lime
  • 2 tbsp sour cream
  • 1 tsp cumin (or more, to taste)
  • salt, to taste

Chop the avacodos into small cubes and mash with a fork, leaving just a few chunks and add to a medium sized bowl. Add in the garlic, cilantro, onion, sour cream, cumin, and salt. Squeeze the juice of the lime into the bowl and stir everything together. Serve immediately.

17 Responses to “Guacamole”

1. Sook @ My Fabulous Recipes March 8, 2010 @ 1:30 pm (#

aw, you and your husband are so cute. :) Love guacamole.. Yours looks so appetizing.

2. Stephanie March 8, 2010 @ 4:26 pm (#

I sent this to my husband telling him that his made me want guacamole like, yesterday. His response was: That does look good, and I’m talking about the Guac, not the Dude. :)

3. Andrea@CeleryInTheCity March 8, 2010 @ 5:28 pm (#

hahaa, you and the hubs are adorable. this guac looks great..glad to hear the lack of onion won’t sacrifice the taste..onion hater right here!

4. grace March 9, 2010 @ 6:46 am (#

what a good sport your hubster is. methinks he knows that he needs to behave in order to earn all the goodies you prepare. sounds like a good deal to me. :)
    oh, and count me among the guac fans–i could sit down with an entire batch and lick the bowl clean.

5. shelly (cookies and cups) March 9, 2010 @ 6:55 am (#

yep..I am an onion hater…the crunch is what I loathe! So I will definitely try it with the onion powder. I LOVE guac and this recipe looks yummm!

6. Maria March 9, 2010 @ 7:24 am (#

Ohhh this looks delicious!! But I can’t do it, I’m from Barcelona, Spain, and we don’t have sour cream :-(
    I’ll try it anyways!!!

7. Barbara March 9, 2010 @ 9:42 am (#

Oh yeah, he’s a cutie all right!
    Loving your guacamole…the recipe looks great. I like the cumin in it and the red onions are sweeter than most onions and I prefer them!
    Yummy photo too! Oops, photos. Gotta give hubby credit too!

8. megan March 9, 2010 @ 3:05 pm (#

I love guacamole! And i’ve never made it myself! I’ve always wanted to…yours looks so good.

9. Amy from She Wears Many Hats March 10, 2010 @ 8:34 am (#

We can go through some quacamole around here! Nothing beats it.

(Great photography – as always!)

10. Simone (junglefrog) March 10, 2010 @ 4:16 pm (#

Well your onion hater sure looks cute! And so does that guacamole! Well, maybe not cute, but delicious for sure. I love a good guacamole too (and I love Mexican food too)

11. Maria March 15, 2010 @ 9:16 am (#

I am always ready for some good guac!

12. Jamie April 2, 2010 @ 3:24 pm (#

YUM. To both! :) Sooooo happy I found your blog! I’m going to the store right now for eggs, ritz crackers, blackberries and avocados! Yep, on the menu for tonight: deviled eggs, guacamole, blackberry bars and chocolate peanut butter candy bars. Sounds like a PERFECT dinner to me!

13. anna August 14, 2011 @ 6:00 pm (#

He’s cute! Lucky girl :)

I like guac on everything. My latest obsession is having it on any kind of sandwich – especially burgers. Gah, I love living so close to Cali.

1. Pingback: Avocado Toast — Buns In My Oven