With a buttery shortbread crust and a zippy, bright lemon curd filling, these Easy Lemon Bars are so good and perfect for a summer treat. Tart and sweet, just like they’re meant to be!
I told you a couple of weeks ago that I was on a lemon kick and now you can see that I wasn’t lying! We’ve been making lots of savory lemon recipes, like our Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup, Greek rice, and Lemon Pepper Chicken Marinade.
But when it comes to dessert? This lemon bar recipe is probably my favorite lemon recipe and I think you guys are going to love it too!
The buttery shortbread crust pairs so perfectly with the slightly tart, slightly sweet filling. I think this tastes like lemonade in dessert form!
This recipe came from a Taste of Home magazine and I made zero changes – it’s perfect as is!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the crust:
Flour – You’ll need all-purpose flour for this recipe.
Butter – The other main ingredient in the shortbread is butter. Start with softened butter for easy mixing. We like to use a good quality butter in recipes like this, since the crust has so few ingredients. We want that butter flavor to shine.
Powdered Sugar – You’ll need some of this for dusting over the lemon bars too but we’re also adding it to the shortbread crust to sweeten it up.
For the filling:
Dry Ingredients – To prepare the lemon filling you’ll need a few dry ingredients including flour, sugar, and baking powder. Plus some more powdered sugar for sprinkling on top of the lemon bars.
Wet Ingredients – You’ll also need a couple of large eggs as well as some freshly squeezed lemon juice! You could use the bottled kind but in this case fresh is definitely the best.
Lemon Zest – Since we’re using fresh lemons here we might as well grate some lemon zest too! It’s going to really up the lemon flavor in these dessert bars so don’t skip it.
What We Love About This LEMON BARS Recipe:
- Flavor: The freshly squeezed lemon juice and grated lemon zest add strong lemon flavor to these dessert bars! You’ll love the sweet and tart flavor combination!
- Easy: These dessert bars are quick and easy to whip up! The shortbread crust is super simple and the lemon filling is just as easy to make.
Special Tools Needed to make this lemon bar recipe:
- Microplane Zester: The perfect tool for zesting citrus fruits or shaving Parmesan cheese into fluffy little mounds!
- Dusting Wand: This is just a little gadget you fill with powered sugar and then you shake! So easy and I use it to dust powdered sugar over my homemade brownies too! No big clumps of powdered sugar.
- 8×8 Baking Dish: I love this dish and it comes in a range of pretty colors!
Freshly squeezed lime and lemon juice is useful in lots of recipes, and this tool makes it easy and mess free.
How To Make Lemon Bars:
Crust: You’ll start by preparing the bottom layer of the lemon bars and it starts with a simple shortbread dough. You’ll need flour, butter, and powdered sugar. Beat those together with a mixer. Depending on the brand of butter you use, your dough will either come together or it will stay a bit sandy and crumbly. No worries either way – it’s going to bake up perfect.
Press: If your dough came together into a soft ball of dough, press it into the bottom of your prepared pan. If you have sandy, coarse crumbs, dump those into your prepared pan and use the bottom of a clean drinking glass to press the dough together to form the crust. Bake the crust while you whip up the lemon filling.
Combine: To make the lemon topping, you’ll whip up a couple of eggs, sugar, flour, lemon juice, zest, and a little baking powder.
Bake: Pour the lemon filling right over the cookie base and pop all this back in the oven for 25 more minutes. The filling should be just slightly jiggly when it has finished.
Finish: You’ll want to let the lemon bars cool on a wire rack for an hour before giving them a generous dusting of powdered sugar.
Yes, store these tightly covered in the fridge. They’re delicious cold, but you can also bring them to room temperature before serving.
This lemon bar recipe should last up to 4 days in the fridge – if you don’t devour them all first.
Definitely! These lemon bars store well in the refrigerator so you can prepare them a day or two in advance if you’re having a gathering and need to save some time.
MORE EASY DESSERT RECIPES TO TRY!
- Eclair Cake: No need to heat up the oven with this no bake recipe!
- Blackberry Cobbler: We make this alllll summer long!
- Lemon Cookies: Simple and sweet!
- Apple Cobbler: Always a classic!
- Apple Hand Pies: These are made easy in the air fryer!
Easy Lemon Bars
For the crust:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
For the filling
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 whole lemon juiced
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- powdered sugar for sprinkling
For the crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the flour, butter, and powdered sugar to a bowl and beat with a mixer until the dough comes together. See notes.
- Press the dough into an ungreased 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
For the filling
- Add the eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the filling over the crust and return to the oven for 25 minutes. The filling should be just slightly jiggly.
- Cool for one hour before dusting with powdered sugar.