This HAM AND CORN CHOWDER is rich, creamy, and comforting! It’s the perfect recipe to warm you up this winter with lots of ham, corn, beans, potatoes and bacon!
I’m curious – do you eat soup all year long or do you mostly save it for the winter months?
We eat it all year long, but we definitely amp up the soup consumption when it’s cold outside.
Nothing better than a cozy bowl of soup (or chowder!) on a chilly night.
(My crockpot chicken noodle soup is one of those super cozy soups I’m obsessed with.)
This ham and corn chowder is perfect for a cold day. It’s made with ham, bacon, potatoes, and corn. Loads of flavors that the whole family loves.
Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover ham you might have hanging around!
How to Make:
Sauté: In a large dutch oven begin by cooking the bacon and onion on medium heat until translucent. Next add the carrots and garlic and cook for a couple more minutes. The bacon, onion, and garlic will add a ton of great flavor to this chowder recipe!
Boil: Next add the potatoes and the chicken broth and bring to a boil. It should really start smelling good now! When the contents have reached boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
Simmer: Add the ham, corn, beans and the Old Bay seasoning to the pot and allow it to simmer for an additional ten minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Almost done!
To turn this into a rich, creamy chowder whisk in the milk and flour. Increase the heat to boiling and cook for a couple more minutes while stirring continuously, or until the soup has thickened to your liking.
Serve: Once the soup has thickened to your preferred consistency, remove from heat and serve. If you want to go the extra mile serve it with crumbled bacon and green onions!
- Is the soup not thick or creamy enough? Try adding some heavy cream in addition to the milk or in place of it. Sour cream would also work if you like that flavor!
- This recipe is perfect for using up that leftover holiday ham! You can also use the fully cooked cubed ham from the grocery store.
- Serve this with our sweet cornbread on the side.
More favorite soups!
- Homemade Tomato Soup
- Crockpot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- Broccoli Cauliflower Soup
- Instant Pot Bean Soup
Ham and Corn Chowder
- 6 slices bacon chopped
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium carrots diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups diced ham
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 14 ounces canned cannellini beans
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the bacon and onion and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the ham, corn, beans, and seasonings to the pot and simmer for 10 more minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Whisk together the milk and flour and pour into the pot of soup. Increase heat to a rolling boil and cook, stirring constantly, until the soup has thickened to your liking.
- Serve with crumbled bacon and green onions, if desired.