Our Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole is creamy, cheesy, and so simple! Toss the ingredients in the crockpot and let it do all the work for you, leaving your oven space available for other dishes! These crockpot cheesy hashbrowns are a must make for any holiday dinner or potluck.
I have been on a major slow cooker kick lately.
I love my crockpot in the summer when it’s so dang hot that I dread standing over a stove or turning on the oven.
I love my crockpot in the winter when you just want a warm, cozy meal and your entire house to smell cozy and inviting.
And of course, I love that the slow cooker works by basically letting you dump things in there and walking away. Dinner just pops out like magic, hours later.
We’re making this crockpot hashbrown casserole for Easter dinner this year. It’s so simple to dump and go, and I LOVE that it saves space in the oven for other dishes.
Table of Contents
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Potatoes – You’ll want to use the diced hashbrown potatoes rather than shredded. This will make for a better texture in the finished product for your crockpot cheesy hashbrowns.
Sour Cream – We prefer full fat, but light or fat free should work. Nonfat Greek yogurt would also likely work well.
Cream of Chicken Soup – You could use a can from the store, or you could just try my homemade recipe. It’s perfect for this hashbrown casserole and lots of other recipes!
Cheddar – Lots of shredded cheddar cheese will add all the wonderful cheesy flavor to these slow cooked hashbrowns. Or switch things up and add or sub with other cheeses like smoked gouda, gruyere, and pepperjack!
Seasoning – Some salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. We also like to top it off with some freshly minced parsley before serving!
What Readers are Saying!
“Another delicious addition is crumbled bacon pieces. Don’t skimp. We’ve made this a couple of times and will be making it again.” – Perry
In the market for a new slow cooker? We love this 7 quart Crockpot. It’s simple to use, cooks evenly, and is very budget friendly. Plus, it has a 4 1/2 star rating with over 5,000 reviews on Amazon!
How to Make Crockpot Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole:
Combine: This is the best crock pot hashbrown casserole, in part because it couldn’t be easier! Just add all of the ingredients (frozen diced potatoes, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheddar, spices) to your slow cooker and stir well to combine.
Cook: When everything is added to the crockpot, just set it on low and forget about it for 4 hours! What could be easier than that? Check to be sure the potatoes are tender or if they need more time. When ready, sprinkle with parsley and serve!
This is great as a side for my turkey meatloaf! Of course, we also make it for holiday dinners – especially when oven space is limited. And if you’re serving this with breakfast some air fried bacon or sausage links in air fryer will pair perfectly with this casserole!
- Give my homemade substitute for cream of chicken soup a try instead of the canned soup. It’s healthier and it tastes better!
- Stir in some diced ham or seared Polish sausage just before serving to make this a main dish. You could even add in some steamed or roasted veggies.
- Shredded hashbrowns will also work here, but keep an eye on the cook time. They’ll cook faster.
- Feel free to get creative with the cheese. I just use a few handfuls of freshly grated cheddar, but mix things up with some Monterey Jack or smoked gouda. Pepper jack would add a nice little kick, too!
You can keep the leftover hashbrown casserole in the fridge for 3-4 days.
This recipe should freeze well in a sealed foil container. Store for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight and bake, covered with foil, at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.
You may use any brand of slow cooker you like, but you’ll want it to be around 5 quarts or larger in size.
More crockpot favorites!
- Crock Pot French Dip
- Grape Jelly Meatballs
- Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing
- Crockpot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- Crockpot Wings
Crockpot Hashbrown Casserole
- 32 ounces frozen diced potatoes
- 2 cups sour cream
- 10 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
- Spray a 5-6 quart slow cooker with non-stick spray.
- Add all ingredients except for the parsley to the slow cooker. Stir well to combine.
- Set slow cooker to low, cover, and cook for 3-4 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir well and sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published in June 2016. It was updated with new photos in April 2021. Original photo below.