Yes, fine. You’ll probably save about 3 minutes of time if you decide to make your pancakes from a box mix.
I know those 3 minutes are important minutes that you could be spending shouting at your children to brush their teeth, searching for shoes to put on everyone’s feet (shoes that match, even, because you are Super Woman), and maybe you need that time to explain to your husband that no, his shirt really doesn’t match his tie and he sort of looks like a hobo.
I get it.
These pancakes are worth the hobo-looking husband and the children going to school in mismatched shoes with stinky breath.
Take the extra 3 minutes, make the pancakes from scratch, and rejoice in all that is buttery, fluffy, and delicious.
I’ve been making these fluffy pancakes my whole life and when I dare cheat and grab a box of pancake mix, my family revolts. So, yeah. Make these and enjoy!
Classic Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or 3/4 cup regular milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar - let sit for 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and melted butter until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together until most of the lumps are gone. Do not overmix.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook until browned on the bottom and the center is done.
pancake recipe adapted from allrecipes.com