Our Biscuits and Gravy Casserole features roasted potatoes smothered in sausage gravy and topped with biscuits. This breakfast casserole is a family favorite and perfect for holidays and weekend mornings!
It’s safe to say that one of the first things I learned how to cook after getting married was biscuits and gravy.
My husband requests them every single weekend and I don’t think he’ll ever get tired of sausage gravy poured over a soft, fluffy biscuit.
And on days when I’m just really feeling the breakfast vibe, we whip up this Biscuits and Gravy Casserole, made with roasted potatoes, sausage gravy, and a can of refrigerated biscuits! It’s simple, hearty, and filling – and everyone raves about it!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Breakfast Sausage – You can use any brand of ground breakfast sausage! If you like it spicy use a brand that packs a little heat.
Refrigerated Biscuits – We prefer the flaky layers biscuits here, but you can use any variety of refrigerated biscuit dough that you like.
Potatoes – I’m using diced baby yellow potatoes. You’ll want to cut them fairly small (quarters or eighths, depending on the size of them) so they cook evenly and quickly.
Seasoning – You’ll need paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Milk & Flour – We prefer whole milk for a thick, creamy gravy.
What Readers are Saying!
“So made this tonight to take to work to eat and loved it! My daughter who never wants to eat ate two bowls! Was asking me already to make it again!” – Shirley S.
Cast iron skillets are my favorite! They heat so evenly, get piping hot for searing, and nothing is better than bacon fried in a cast iron skillet.
How To Make Biscuits and Gravy Breakfast Casserole:
Potatoes: Add peeled and diced potatoes to a 9×13 baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season the potatoes with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Stir to combine all this and spread them in an even layer. Roast the potatoes at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes stirring half way through.
Gravy: Right before stirring the potatoes above, get your sausage cooking in a large skillet over medium heat. When sausage is cooked through, sprinkle it with flour and stir to combine. Cook this for one minute. Add the milk to the sausage and the rest of the salt and pepper from the recipe and cook while stirring constantly. Do this until the sausage gravy has thickened slightly, should be about 6 minutes.
Don’t overcook the gravy!
You want this to be thinner than traditional breakfast gravy because it will thicken up while it is cooking in the oven.
Top: Pour the gravy over the roasted potatoes.
Biscuits: Cut your biscuits into 4 pieces each and arrange them evenly over the top of the gravy nearly covering the entire pan.
Bake: Return to the oven and cook for about 30 minutes. The biscuits will get nicely browned, the gravy will thicken, and the potatoes will be perfect.
What can I serve with this?
No breakfast is complete without a plate full of scrambled eggs and a slice or two of bacon. I love this air fryer bacon recipe! It’s so easy and mess free. Air fryer sausage links are another great choice!
Of course, our fruit salad goes great with breakfast too.
You can keep any leftovers stored in an airtight container or tightly wrapped in the fridge for about 2 to 3 days. Just note that the biscuits will probably get a little soggy in the gravy.
You could use homemade biscuit dough for this but I think the refrigerated stuff from the store works really well for a recipe like this.
More Breakfast Favorites!
- French Toast Casserole: It’s made with cinnamon rolls!!
- Applesauce Muffins: A favorite in our house!
- Breakfast Casserole: Packed with eggs, meat, and cheese!
- Old Fashioned Donut: My grandma’s famous recipe!
- English Muffin Bread: Spread with butter and jam!
Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- 20 ounces baby yellow potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons salt divided
- 1 teaspoons cracked pepper divided
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- ¼ cup flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 16 ounces refrigerated biscuits
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Dice the potatoes into small pieces, either quarters or eighths depending on the size of the potato.
- Add diced potatoes to a 9×13 baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Roast potatoes for 25 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
- About 15 minutes before potatoes are done, add the sausage to a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage, breaking it up as it cooks.
- When sausage is cooked through, sprinkle with flour and stir well to combine. Cook 1 minute.
- Add milk and remaining salt and pepper to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly, for 6 minutes or until gravy has thickened slightly. The gravy should be thinner than a traditional breakfast gravy as it will thicken in the oven.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and stir. Pour the gravy over the top.
- Cut the biscuits into 4 pieces each and arrange evenly over the top of the gravy.
- Return to the oven for 28-30 minutes or until biscuits are browned and cooked through.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published in December 2018. It was updated in December 2020.