Potato Chip Cookies

I feel like I should slap a warning label on this post. Ready for it?

Warning: These cookies are beyond simple to make, you probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen right now, and they are addicting like you wouldn’t believe. The saltiness of the potato chips mixes with the sweetness of the chocolate. You will be powerless to resist. Do not make these if you lack self control. Do not make these if you are hungry. Do not make these if you have a mouth. Do not make these. Ever. At all. Unless you want a really yummy treat, but be sure to proceed with caution.

There. Now that I’ve gotten that out of the way, let me tell you what I did. I made cookies. With potato chip crumbs in them. I know, I didn’t think they’d be good either, but sometimes a little failure is good for the soul, so I went ahead and tried it anyway. These cookies are definitely not failures. Unless you consider a cookie that begs you to eat 10 of them right in a row a failure. Then yes, these are huge failures.

I feel like the cookie monster over here. Send help.

Potato Chip Cookies
adapted from Taste of Home “Best Summer Desserts”

• 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups crushed potato chips
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Combine the flour and baking soda and slowly add to the creamed sugars. Mix well. Stir in the potato chips and chocolate chips.

Drop by small spoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack.

28 Responses to “Potato Chip Cookies”

1. Maria July 14, 2010 @ 8:57 am (#

I have never added potato chips to cookies. Will have to try these!

2. Dan @ Casual Kitchen July 14, 2010 @ 9:03 am (#

What an intriguing recipe modification! And I love the disclaimer, which is not only a nice thing to do for your readers, but it also might be legitimately useful legal protection.

And yep, adding salt and more fat to chocolate chip cookies only makes them more dangerous. Thank you for sharing!

Dan
    Casual Kitchen

3. Jessica @ How Sweet July 14, 2010 @ 9:07 am (#

I have been wondering where you have been since bacon week. :) And now you come back with an even MORE delicious recipe? Salty and sweet is right up my alley!

4. Becky July 14, 2010 @ 9:17 am (#

Wow, these sound great. The warning made me laugh….and want to make them more!

5. The Blue-Eyed Bakers July 14, 2010 @ 9:48 am (#

Oh gosh – this recipe looks AMAZING. Reminds us of one of our favorite cookies from a place in NYC…they use pretzels but we LOVE the idea of the thin and salty potato chip…we need to make these asap! Thanks for posting!

6. Joanne July 14, 2010 @ 11:43 am (#

I was skeptical about putting potato chips in cookies until I got some to sample. And at the whole bag in one sitting. That was rough.

So yeah. These look awesome.

7. Ashley July 14, 2010 @ 11:52 am (#

Ooo I found a potato chip recipe at least a year ago and have yet to make it!! Thanks for the reinspiration. They look amazing!

8. MrsDragon July 14, 2010 @ 9:22 pm (#

These sound AMAZING. Salty and sweet is one of my favorite combos ever. I have a cake in the oven right now, but suddenly all I want are *these*.

9. Barbara July 15, 2010 @ 6:00 am (#

I’ve never seen a recipe like this, Karly. I love the salt/sweet combo and I was amazed at how normal the cookies looked. Don’t know what I thought the inside would look like, but it look like a cc cookie!

10. Kristen July 15, 2010 @ 8:03 am (#

I have never heard of such a thing, but OMG…these sound delicious!

11. grace July 16, 2010 @ 3:21 am (#

thanks for the disclaimer. :) i’d sacrifice some of my lays for these cookies, yes indeedy.

12. Kaitlin July 16, 2010 @ 10:34 am (#

Sounds like a good idea to me! I love that salty-sweet combo :)

13. Margo July 16, 2010 @ 1:09 pm (#

This recipe is my cookie fantasy come to life. Chocolate and salt are magic together, and putting those into the wonder that is the realm of the chocolate chip cookie sounds almost too good to be true!

14. Jackie at Phamfatale.com July 16, 2010 @ 10:02 pm (#

Very original! That way you don’t need the additional pinch of salt to enhance the sweetness of the cookies. Love it, absolutely love it!

15. Kristin kunoff July 17, 2010 @ 2:21 pm (#

Just tried these today and was wondering if the flour is supposed to be more than 2 cups? I ended up adding more flour to mine after the first batch came out too flat and runny.

Thanks for the recipe! My husband approves=)

16. Karly July 17, 2010 @ 2:27 pm (#

Hey Kristin,

I’m not sure why they would have been runny! I double checked the recipe and it was definitely 2 cups and I’m sure that’s what I used as well! Weird, man. Glad you were able to save them by adding a bit more flour!

Karly

17. Olivia August 11, 2010 @ 6:44 pm (#

I didn’t find the recipe to be runny. Just perfect. In the oven now. And now thinking I should have listened to your warning. It makes SO many!! Good excuse to give ‘em out to my friends and bring them down with me, haha!

18. India October 6, 2010 @ 9:58 am (#

I made these yesterday, and whilst in the middle of mixing I realized that I had forgotten to buy baking soda!! Buuuut for some reason they still came out amazing hahaha

19. Cassara Holt October 16, 2010 @ 7:14 am (#

My friend made these the other day & I loved them! So i wanted to make them for my roomies as well. One roommate saw that I was making chocolate chip cookies & asked to split the batter in half so she could make chocolate-pear cookies. We then decided that we should add Pears, chocolate, AND the chips to the batter. The combination was sweet&salty and the pears added a chewy, moist texture to the cookie.
    They turned out incredible! The batch was gone in 10 minutes. :)

20. kent March 26, 2011 @ 11:19 am (#

When i was a kid (1960s) I remember a babysitter making these for us, haven’t had them since, but if I do baked,low salt chips and splenda, cant be that bad:)

21. cp March 27, 2011 @ 2:36 am (#

Man…has anyone added bacon to this recipe? Goodness me…I will have to try this soon. I see a taste test comin’ up. :) Thanks!

22. Debbie March 27, 2011 @ 6:59 pm (#

Potato Chip Cookie – I found no noticeable saltiness at all. The potato chips add a crunch to it so it was an “OK” chocolate chip cookie, not a repeater. Got to give this recipe a thumbs down.

23. Nina May 9, 2011 @ 1:39 pm (#

I just made these and they are absolutely fantastic. I’m sure when my family gets home, they will be gone in an instant.

also to Kristin kunoff: the problem might be that the flour you are using is getting old. Over time flour loses its ability to rise. I made a batch of cookies last week that completely melted because the flour was expired. Flour is only good for 6 months tops if not frozen (unlucky for me I never knew that until last week.) hope this helps :)

24. Shelby December 6, 2011 @ 10:57 am (#

thank you thank you thank you! My Nanna’s friend made us some potato chip cookies a looong time ago and i’ve been looking for a good recipe for them! yay! now i can fatten my boyfriend up..oh and myself.

25. Shelby December 13, 2011 @ 11:44 pm (#

I used this recipe (adding white chocolate chips instead of the regular semi-sweet ones) for my work place’s Christmas party and won runner up! Someone’s blueberry cheesecake won first :) And i also made the holiday toffee bark and got a honorable mention. Thanks for the awesome recipes!

1. Pingback: Pumpkin Caramel Spiderweb Cookies | The Family Kitchen