These thick and chewy chocolate peanut butter cookies are loaded with peanut butter chips! There is no chill time for this dough, so you’ll have cookies on the table in less than 20 minutes!
Do you guys remember my perfect chocolate chip cookies?
The reasons they are perfect are numerous, but my favorite things about them are the fact that they are huge, thick, and chewy.
They also start with melted butter, which is always a bonus for those of us who forget to set out a stick of butter.
And the real kicker? There is no chill time.
Cookie dough that doesn’t need to be chilled before baking that STILL bakes up fat, thick, chewy, perfect.
These cookies you’re looking at right here? They’re a riff on those perfect chocolate chip cookies and they are SO. DARN. GOOD.
Thick, loaded with chocolate, studded with peanut butter chips. Impossible to resist.
How to make chocolate peanut butter cookies:
Wet Ingredients: Beat together the melted butter with the sugar and brown sugar until well combined. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
Dry Ingredients: Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt right into the wet ingredients. No need to mix them together separately first.
Mix: Use an electric mixer or a wooden spoon and a bit of elbow grease to stir this dough together. Stir in the peanut butter chips and chocolate chips.
Shape: Use a cookie scoop to scoop out balls of cookie dough. We like BIG cookies, so we use a large cookie scoop. This recipe makes one dozen LARGE cookies.
Bake & Cool: Bake these cookies for 11 minutes exactly. They’ll look a bit underdone when you pull them out, but they’ll set up as they cool. Let them cool on the baking sheet for at least 5 minutes, 10 if you have a bit of patience. 😉
While all ovens do cook a bit differently, we’ve consistently found that 11 minutes for a cookie made with a large cookie scoop is the perfect amount of time for this recipe. It produces a slightly underdone cookie that sets up nicely as it cools. If you use a medium cookie scoop, reduce the bake time to 9 minutes.
Picture Perfect Cookies
Want cookies that are just begging to be shared on Instagram? Press a few peanut butter chips into the tops of the hot cookie dough as soon as you pull the cookies from the oven. This makes them look so irresistible and is a long time food blogger trick. 😉
Freeze Your Cookie Dough!
We always have a freezer bag full of cookie dough for emergency cookie cravings.
- Scoop out the cookie dough onto a baking sheet.
- Place the sheet in the freezer for 1 hour to flash freeze the dough.
- Transfer the cookie dough to a ziptop freezer bag and freeze until ready to bake.
- Bake straight from the freezer. Add 2 minutes bake time to the cookies.
I hope you guys love these cookies as much as we do. I’ve been struggling to keep them in the cookie jar, because they get eaten so quickly!
More Cookie Recipes!
- Snickerdoodle cookies
- Monster Cookies
- Strawberry Cake Mix Cookies
- Snowball Cookies
- Lemon Cookies
- White chocolate macadamia nut cookies
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat together the butter and sugars until well combined.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until just combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking soda, and salt and beat until a soft dough forms.
- Stir in the peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop out 12 balls of cookie dough.
- Place dough on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 11 minutes exactly. Cookies will look slightly underdone, but will firm up as they cool.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the pan before removing to a cooling rack.
Tips & Notes:
This recipe was originally published in November 2016. It was updated with new photos and video in February 2020.