These tender pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting are filled with familiar spicy pumpkin Fall flavors and topped with rich creamy frosting! Our recipe for pumpkin bars come together in just one bowl and turn out just perfect.
We’re back with another pumpkin reason and this one is a classic! Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting were always around during the Fall season when I was growing up and now I’m sure to make them myself at least once a year.
The tender, spiced pumpkin bars topped with rich cream cheese frosting is just a hard combination to resist and everyone loves the bars!
This is our third pumpkin recipe of the year (so far!) and we have more planned to share with you. We’ve already shared our pumpkin chocolate chip cake and white chocolate chip pumpkin cookies. I can’t wait for you to see all the other goodies we have in the line up!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
For the pumpkin bars recipe:
Pumpkin Puree – This is different from pumpkin pie filling, so make sure you grab the canned 100% pure pumpkin puree.
Pumpkin Pie Spice – Try out my homemade pumpkin pie spice recipe and make your own, or use a bottle from the store. It’s what adds the flavor to these bars, so don’t skimp.
Dry Ingredients – You’ll need dark brown sugar, granulated white sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Wet Ingredients – Just a few simple baking ingredients: some eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- It’s a great way to enjoy Fall pumpkin flavors and is a nice switch from the usual pumpkin pie recipe.
- The cream cheese frosting is so rich, creamy, and simple to make.
- This recipe feeds a crowd – it’ll make one 15×10 pan and you can cut the bars in any size you like.
For the cream cheese frosting:
Cream Cheese – You’ll want to let the cream cheese come to room temperature before starting so that it’ll be easy to work with.
Butter – This should also be at room temperature before preparing the frosting.
Powdered Sugar – The sweetener for this easy cream cheese frosting.
Vanilla Extract – For flavor!
Salt – Just a pinch!
I use this vanilla extract in pretty much all of my recipes! It’s got incredible flavor and is the best brand I’ve found for baking. Try it out!
How to Make Pumpkin Bars:
Wet Ingredients: This pumpkin bar batter is pretty easy to whip up! Start by adding the canned pumpkin, eggs, vegetable oil, sugars, and vanilla to a bowl. Mix them together until well combined with a hand mixer or whisk.
Dry Ingredients: To finish preparing the pumpkin batter you’ll mix in the remaining dry ingredients. That would be the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix until well combined.
Bake: When the pumpkin batter is ready you can start spreading the mixture into a greased 15×10 rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Check the pumpkin bars halfway through baking. If the edges of the have started to brown too much tent the pan with some foil.
Cool: Allow the pumpkin bars to cool completely before moving on to preparing the cream cheese frosting!
It’s so easy to whip up dessert with this cute hand mixer. It doesn’t take up much space and is a must for any kitchen!
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
Mix: This easy frosting recipe can be whipped up in no time. Start with some room temp cream cheese and add it to a mixing bowl with the room temp butter. Beat those together until it is smooth and creamy.
Finally, add the powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and salt. Continue mixing for a few more minutes or until the cream cheese frosting is thick and creamy!
Spread: Once the pumpkin bars have cooled you can get down to frosting them! Use an offset spatula to spread the cream cheese frosting in an even layer over the top of the pumpkin bars.
Chill & Serve: You’ll want to let these pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting chill for about 30 minutes in the fridge before slicing and serving. This will allow the frosting to set, so resist the urge to eat them now. Enjoy!
If you want some extra cinnamon spice flavor in this pumpkin bars recipe you can sprinkle a little over the top of the cream cheese frosting before serving. Alternately, top your pumpkin bars with a pumpkin candy.
You can keep the frosted pumpkin bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 5 days.
Sure! The cream cheese frosting in this recipe is quick and easy to make and it can be used in all sorts of other desserts.
MORE PUMPKIN DESSERT RECIPES!
It’s no secret that I love pumpkin! I’ve got so many pumpkin dessert recipes they need a whole category. You can see them all here or check out a few of my favorites below:
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Crunch Cake
- Pumpkin Pecan Pie
- Pumpkin Pie Dip
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Bombs
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats
Pumpkin Bar with Cream Cheese Frosting
For the bars:
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- ¼ cup butter room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
To make the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15×10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper or grease the pan with butter.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, oil, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and vanilla to a large bowl and use a hand mixer or whisk to mix together until well combined.
- Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center of the pan comes out clean. Tent with foil halfway through baking if the edges are getting too browned.
- Cool bars completely on the counter before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Beat together the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and continue mixing for 2-3 minutes or until frosting is thick and creamy.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled bars.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.