This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake is perfectly spiced with our favorite Fall flavors, loaded with mini chocolate chips, and bakes up so easily. Perfect for a sweet treat to share with friends and family this autumn!
Like most Americans, I’m a sucker for all things pumpkin and as soon as I detect the hint of a cool breeze in the air, I’m all in. Bring it on. Give me the goods. I’ve been waiting all summer for this. 😉
We have quite a few pumpkin recipes on this site, including our world famous Pumpkin Crunch Cake (seriously – everyone’s favorite!) and our fan favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. I think this pumpkin chocolate chip cake is going to rank right up there at the top, too!
If you’ve never tried pumpkin paired with chocolate, I agree – sounds a little weird. But if you have tried it then you know…it’s so darn good! The two just work together!
If this recipe looks familiar, that’s because it’s based on my pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting! We just swapped the frosting for chocolate chips.
👩🍳 Ingredient Notes:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate and member of other qualifying programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin – Be sure to use 100% pure pumpkin – not the pie filling that’s mixed with other ingredients.
Dry Ingredients – You’ll need sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Wet Ingredients – You’ll need eggs, vanilla extract, and vegetable oil for the cake batter.
Pumpkin Pie Spice – Pretty much every pumpkin recipe requires some of this stuff. It’ll add plenty of flavor to the pumpkin cake!
Mini Chocolate Chips – We like the mini chips for this one, but you could use full-sized.
What We Love About This Recipe:
- It’s a great way to switch things up from the usual pumpkin pie recipe.
- The chocolate chips go really well with the pumpkin spice flavor!
- This cake is easy peasy, fancy frosting techniques or layering the cake – just a good old fashioned 9×13 cake!
My Favorite Hand Mixer!
It’s so easy to whip up dessert with this cute hand mixer. It doesn’t take up much space and is a must for any kitchen!
🎃 How to Make Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake:
Wet Ingredients: To get started you’ll add the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, and sugar to a mixing bowl and use a hand mixer to beat those together until they are smooth and creamy. Stir in the pumpkin.
Dry Ingredients: You can now add in the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat those together with the wet ingredients until the pumpkin cake batter is well combined.
Chocolate Chips: To finish preparing the cake batter you’ll stir in the mini chocolate chips by hand. Reserve a handful or so to sprinkle over the top of the cake.
Bake: Pour the pumpkin cake batter into a prepared 9×13 baking dish and then sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top of the batter. Bake the pumpkin chocolate chip cake for 35-40 minutes.
You’ll want to let the cake cool completely before slicing and serving!
Our pumpkin cake can be stored at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the fridge for 5-7 days. Be sure to wrap it tightly either way.
Even though the can of pumpkin says 100% pure pumpkin, you’re actually purchasing a can of pureed squash. Either way, it’s delicious and we use it for baking all of our pumpkin treats.
MORE PUMPKIN RECIPES!
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Keto Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Dip Recipe
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Pumpkin Lasagna
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cake
- 4 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 15 ounces canned pumpkin
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Add the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and beat together on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Stir in the pumpkin.
- Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to the bowl and beat together until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand, reserving a handful to sprinkle over the top.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved chocolate chips and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool cake completely before slicing and serving.
Leave a Review